diy solar

diy solar

First solar build

Mountain Man

I’m trying to wrap my head around a solar build to run a water pump so I can’t get water up from my creek to my garden. The pump is 110V and 9.5A. I don’t think it will run more then an hour or two at any given time. Not sure what solar array or battery I need to make this all work. I’d appreciate any input.

Here you go. This guy put together the whole system (a series of vids).

12 volt pump though. Worth some thought for simplicity.

and welcome to the forum!

Do you have the make, model, and full spec of the pump? Main concern is the startup surge of the pump so you can pick the right inverter for it.

Synchronous, AC only motor?
Or Universal, brush-type?

Optimal solution may be a DC pump sized to deliver desired amount of water over the course of daylight time, directly powered by PV panels.

Your 1kW pump, if synchronous motor, may require a 5kW starting surge (for about a second.) Some lower cost inverters could do that.

Shurflo pumps are the old standby for such applications.

Another alternative is a creek-powered water pump. Various water-hammer and other techniques.

But depending on distance to PV array, you may prefer higher voltage pump, e.g. 115V, and panels in series.
I'm not finding specs immediately, just retailer listings. Design before you buy!

Back