diy solar

diy solar

First time building a system and need advice on the panels...

ericchance

Hello and thank you for taking a moment to read and provide any insight/advice.

My main question is about my math in regard to the solar panels I mention below.

This project is my first journey into solar generators. I will mainly use this system for learning purposes with lessons learned to be applied to future solar projects.

I have no specific power requirements to meet in the system.

Here is what I am looking at...

The 24v GroWatt 3kW all in one. I have already purchased this unit from the eBay link provided by Will on the all in one build section of his site.

300W 24v Renogy RNG-300D-G1. Quantity 6

24v 50ah LiFePO4 Battle Born battery. Quanity 4

From all I have read and watched online, I need to do the following to install this correctly:

Install the (6) 300W 24V Renogy panels in parallel. This should result in 1800w at 24v and 55.8 amps.

Install the (4) 24v 50ah batteries in parallel to result in a 24v 200ah storage solution.

I hope I am not oversimplifying this.

These forums have been a fantastic resource but it can be a little overwhelming in the beginning.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

" I have no specific power requirements to meet in the system. "
So, on what was based your decision to purchase this equipement ?
(for example 6x 300W 24V , that is 1800Wh or about 9000W/day while only 4800Wh battery)
Obviously here you planned to secure charging battery even in bad conditions )
And installing 24v batteries in parallel up to 200Ah when 280Ah Cell are easily available ?
and installing 24V panels for a 24V battery is not optimal.
usually you are looking for higher voltage for panels (like 2 in series at least) or choosing 36V panels

Last edited:
From all I have read and watched online, I need to do the following to install this correctly:

Install the (6) 300W 24V Renogy panels in parallel. This should result in 1800w at 24v and 55.8 amps.
A 24 volt battery system does not need "24" volt panels.
Those Renogy 300 watt panels are like 30 something open circuit volts.
If you even need 6 300 watt panels do not install them all in parallel.
3 Series 2 Parallel would be best if the added Voc is under the max voltage input for your Growatt
Or
2 Series 3 Parallel if you might get shaded panels.
Look at buying much cheaper 250 to 300 watt panels on Craigslist for half the price.

Last edited:
Expensive way to learn about solar. Given Your specs, You'll have over $5,000 in the system. There are less expensive and more efficient ways to develop a solar system, and learn from one. I highly recommend You determine what are Your power requirements before building. I too built a system, in part as a learning experience, but also to power essential equipment when required at home, camping and RVing. This required some planing on my part to determine my power requirements, otherwise I may have ended up with a system that is only partially usable when needed or over designed and paid for what I'll never use. In general I'm really happy the way things turned out.

Last edited:
Back