diy solar

diy solar

First time dipping my toe into DIY solar (or solar of any kind)....

LordBane68

Although I have lots of experience in both consumer and industrial electronics and electro-mechanical systems, I have never tinkered with solar power. For my very first solar project, I am considering putting together an off-grid system to charge my 2014 Chevy Volt (level 2, 240VAC supplied charger, Volt internal charger is 3.6kW).
I just don't know if it worth the expense, even though the experience alone may make it worth it.
If I could also use the system to power my well pump during a power outage, that would be a great bonus!

Here is what I am considering:

• EG4 LiFePOWER 48V 100Ahr -----> $1500
  • Growatt 48V 5kW LVM-ES 240V, 100A MPPT PVm=450V (Split Phase Capable?) ------> $900
  • (6) 195W Monocrystalline 96cell 48V (Voc=69V) used Sanyo solar panels ------> $325

I'd like to try and get everything from one seller, if possible, to help with any possible service/support issues.

Is this not enough power, or overkill?
Am I on the right track?
Would it be worth it?

Thanks for any feedback!

-LB68

Maybe forums have changed since I was on them often 10 years ago or so, but no reply posts over a weekend seems to indicate that this area isn't looked at much. :(

Last edited:
Is this not enough power, or overkill?
How much range are you expecting to get into your EV from your solar PV system?

<1.2kW of solar PV is going to average less than 5kWh/day of output, or about 16 miles range. Much less in Winter and crummy solar days and more in Summer and nice sunny days. And the charging rate will be pretty slow too. That may not matter but if your charger requires a minimum charging rate, then you'll need a supply to match.

Back