diy solar

diy solar

First Time Solar Set Up

Buckeye89

I am new to solar and building a system that includes 2 - 200watt solar panels that I will put on the top of my RV. Also have a 2000watt pure sine inverter, 40amp charge controller with battery disconnect and 50 amp fuse where I can shut power off to charge controller. I have 200amp fuse from battery and will have shunt off the negative terminal of one of two - 100amp Battle Born lithium batteries to help monitor system. I am also adding a 50amp fuse that goes to the solar panels where I can shut off any power coming from the panels. There is also a 30amp in line fuse connected to the panels on top.

Looking for comments on if this looks like a good set up. I don't want to burn anything up. :)

Attachments

• Solar 2022.jpg
    Solar 2022.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 15
Are you running the batteries in parallel for 12 volts or in series for 24 volts?
Same question for the solar panels,, 2 in parallel or 2 in series?

If you don’t leave the inverter on for too long this could work. The idle draw of an inverter like that is around 12 - 25 watts an hour That is anywhere from 300 - 600 watt hours left on all day idle draw.

400 watt of panels may produce 800 - 2000 watt hours a day. Less likely if these are flat on the RV.

This may not leave a lot of power to use on the inverter. If you figure out your power requirements and this works with a good power audit to include your DC useage, then it may work.

When I had 12 volts and a 2000 watt inverter, I used 4/0 wire To the batteries and inverter. ANL fuses may not support a AIC required buy a lithium battery. The pictured DC switch if it is the one I have is not UL listed, and the amp rating is a bit tricky. The ”rated amps” is for a12 volt system. Reading the small print, the amperage is half that for 24 volts and half that for 48 volts. The busbar also looks like a 250 amp busbar that is made for audio builds, not necessarily solar builds.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I am new to this. I plan on keeping the inverter off most of the time and only turn it on if/when necessary. I primarily want to keep my 2 - 100amp Battle Born batteries charged.
Here is the link to the bus bars. I wasn't aware there were so many different options. https://www.amazon.com/Mofeez-Power...pd_rd_i=B09J23SRCW&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_t

Link to the DC switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07413JWLD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am using 2 guage from the battery to inverter and 8 guage for the solar charge controller. I don't think I could get any larger cable into the solar charge controller.

I really appreciate any tips. I connected it to one of the batteries today just to see if everything came on which it did but want to make sure everything is correct. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I am new to this. I plan on keeping the inverter off most of the time and only turn it on if/when necessary. I primarily want to keep my 2 - 100amp Battle Born batteries charged.
Here is the link to the bus bars. I wasn't aware there were so many different options. https://www.amazon.com/Mofeez-Power...pd_rd_i=B09J23SRCW&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_t
That definetly is a brass busbar. Some may use this, but I avoid it. I did purchase a brass busbar, but I never installed.
This switch will be at the advertised limits with your equipment.

I’m a bit skeptical of its limits though. Starts out claiming it is 48 volts 475 amps, but then further down you see its momentary, and also hidden is a 275 amp rating. The more you operate towards the 2000 watt limit of the inverter, the less comfortable I am with this switch. I have what is probably the same switch, but from a different vendor, but on a 24 volt install that sees 40 amps tops.
I am using 2 guage from the battery to inverter and 8 guage for the solar charge controller. I don't think I could get any larger cable into the solar charge controller.
The SCC will be fine. Check the ampacity of the wire You have. A 12 volt inverter with a low voltage cutoff of 10 volts and accounting for a 15% coversion loss could easily approach 250 amps. I kind of doubt your 2 AWG is rated for that. The spec sheet for that particular wire and manufacturer will say.
I really appreciate any tips. I connected it to one of the batteries today just to see if everything came on which it did but want to make sure everything is correct. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Electricity does scare me. Over 100k+ electrical fires a year in the US.

I have a 3000 watt 24 volt inverter on my RV and I took many precautions building that. As close to code as I could get especially seeking UL listings for components. For a 300 watt solar generator, I was not so careful. The difference for me is the 300 watt generator does not run close to my house so if it burns down, so if there’s a problem I only use the generator.

To me the more these builds are actually used, the more attention has to be paid.

Back