diy solar

diy solar

First time startup procedure

MarkSolar

Solar Enthusiast
I've got a grid tied system I'll be ready to startup for the first time in the next few days. Are there suggestions on how to start things up for the first time. It's 3 strings of 8 panels each, into a combiner box, into a DC disconnect, 150' DC cable to Fronius 7.5kW inverter, feeding a 40A breaker in a subpanel in the barn. I've already tested each panel for output when I installed them. Each panel is 425W, 10.8A, 49v open voltage. So total DC output is 32A and between 280-490v depending on sun and temperature. I'm thinking of leaving the fuses out of 2 of the 3 strings and test strings one at a time. Or should I just connect everything one night and then get up in the morning and see what the display on the inverter indicates. I'll leave the subpanel AC backfed breaker off until I'm sure things are working. Then I can turn the main breaker off in the subpanel and see if I can run everything in the barn. Then I can turn the house main breaker off and turn the subpanel breaker on to see if I can run everything in the house. Then I'll need to get the electric company to come and bless it before I can run connected to the grid.

I've got a grid tied system I'll be ready to startup for the first time in the next few days. Are there suggestions on how to start things up for the first time.
Congrats on your PTO (solar-speak for Permission To Operate)!

Take photos of your meter readings before you start up and then watch it during the first day. If your power company installed a standard meter rather than replacing with a bidirectional meter, the meter won't "spin backwards", instead you'll get charged for that power. If it's not reporting properly disconnect it and call them out to correct their mistake.

As to the sequence of startup steps... probably doesn't make a difference, but I'd follow the recommendations in the Fronius manual.

Back