diy solar

diy solar

First timer solar kit, Renogy 400W any good?

I installed this system on my camping van in 2017. I chose the Renogy 100W panels for the reasonable cost, (at the time), and the dimensions needed to fit the roof. Also considered what if a panel failed. If so I only lose 25%. In 2017 MPPT was considerably costly and PWM were highly recommended for 12 volt systems, 400 watts and under. The MorningStar was selected as the best recommended. I am still pleased with my purchase. Operating in general 30 to 40 degrees north, right coast.

Hi everyone, just buying my first system, do you think this is a good starter for $335 USD all in? https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-400W-Monocrystalline-Solar-Bundle

Also, is it worth the extra $50 USD to get this version instead with MPPT instead of PWM controller? https://www.newegg.com/renology-solar-kit-starter400d-solar-panel-kits/p/120-000K-00049

Final question: Can these kits be connected directly to something like the Renogy 300 pack? Thanks. Any tips appreciated. Nice to meet you all, I apologize in advance for all the stupid questions I plan to ask in the coming weeks. ☺
The first step is just to get something started. A smaller system is easier to learn on. Once you get going you will want more power to the shields lol. I went with Renogy because I figured if I bought all the equipment from the same maker, it should work together properly. There is better stuff out there, but it is also more expensive. That being said "buy once, cry once" Buy bigger than you think you need now. You will be upgrading. Buy the best stuff you can afford. But get something to get the ball rolling. Starting is often the hardest part.

I live in Canada. I'm told no such deals exist here without prohibitive shipping costs. I haven't found anything so far to disprove that but if you have a source I would love that, thanks.
Adding your location (found in your account details) to your profile will help everyone who wants to help;).

I wanted to build a system to power my laptop, TV and music computer with 32" monitor, stereo amp with four 10" 3-way speakers and my DSL modem so I would still be in contact during power outages. I started with four Renogy 100 watt panels, 2 Vmax 125 a/h batteries and a 30amp Renogy Wanderer charge controller with a 1200 watt Giandle Pure Sine Wave inverter. I ended up with two more 180 watt Newpower panels and two more Vmax 125a/h batteries and a second Wanderer SCC. Finally I can run all listed equipment 24/7 if need be when I get decent sunshine. I can last two days with clouds before I get to low on battery power. This was my first venture into solar. If I had it to do over I think I would have gone Lithium with mppt controllers and larger panels. Seems the larger you go, the cheaper per watt they get. I am happy with what I have though.

Back