diy solar

diy solar

First timer with small cabin setup

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
First off, thank you to everyone who posts on this site and for the people who have been helping me so far.
I am learning a huge amount. So much that I might be getting myself confused lol.

We have a 320 sq. ft. off-grid cabin with a Jayco 29' camper on site and would like to go solar.
The plan is to spend 3 or 4-weeks and then a bunch of weekends at the cabin. Probably around 40-45 days or nights a year.

We plan on using our 2 Honda 2200i generators, which can be run in parallel, for our initial energy needs and charge a battery storage system when the sun isn't shining enough.

I used snoobler's excel spreadsheet, which was great, but not sure if my numbers are accurate.

Here is my first attempt at a design. Let me know if I am heading down the right path or not:

Minimum System size calculations
Full Load Wattage
3158​
Watts
Full Load W-hrs.7152W-Hrs.
Full Surge wattage1075
Inverter efficiency96.00%%
Full Load Inverter size (input watts)3290Watts
Full Surge load Inverter size44Watts
Daily Storage Requirement4000W-Hrs/Day
Max discharge from full CHARGE90.0%%
# days of storage capacity2.0Days
System Voltage48.0Volts
min Battery capacity W-Hrs8888.9W-Hrs.
min Battery capacity A-Hrs185.2Amp Hours
Max continuous current from bat.68.5Amps
Max Continuous discharge rate0.37C
# sunny days to recharge while under load1.0Days
Required Total daily Solar output (Sunny)8000.0W-Hrs.
Insolation # (Equivelent hours of full sun)4.0Hours
Min Solar Cell Wattage2000.0Watts
Max Charge Current41.7Amps
Max Charge rate
0.22​
C

Even though I entered 2-days of energy storage, I am fine with 1 day and using generators as-needed.

Considering this setup:
I am still a newbie to all of this and learning more and more every day.

Thank you for all the help.

AJ

Include no-load power of the inverter 'round the clock. Looks like that's < 10% of what you've listed.

Standby Power Consumption <23W

Battery $2500. (each)
About 2x the price of 5kWh AGM battery I bought, which has similar usable capacity but shorter cycle life. Probably same lifespan given your usage.
$5000 is a lot of money to spend on batteries. That's what I paid for 20 kWh of AGM (14 kWh usable)
You can build DIY lithium for same or less than my AGM.
As you note, smaller battery is OK if you have generator for backup.
Once you decide generator is OK, you can make battery even smaller. Just enough for the night. Run loads directly off PV while the sun shines (e.g. refrigerator)
What about 4 of these for $1300 total?

How cold does your location get?
Lithium can't charge below freezing. But it retains most of its capacity.
AGM shouldn't be discharged too low if freezing possible.

I do like the idea of AGM batteries. Just keep seeing a lot of people heading to Lithium. AGM might be a good choice for me with the number of times we'll be at the cabin. Also since I'm already in my late 50's lol. I've also seen the videos on building Lithium, which looked pretty interesting as well. The Sun Xtenders look like a good option for me.

The cabin is in Camden, NY north of Rome. It's about 3 hours from where we live and we close on it in a couple of weeks. They tend to get a lot of snow. The temps are what I am concerned about for the winter months when we won't be there:

January
FebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
Average Monthly high in °F:28°31°40°54°67°75°80°78°71°58°46°33°
Average Monthly low in °F:10°19°33°42°52°56°55°47°37°29°18°

I was thinking of getting a camper black tank heater blanket to place under the batteries to just ward off some of the extreme low temps.
Figuring I wouldn't be using the cabin in the coldest winter months is why I was thinking Lithium, but AGM with the heating blanket and no usage, other than the heating blanket, that might be good.

Thank you for the help! I can talk myself round in circles with some of this lol.

Heating blanket would drain the battery and let it freeze, unless disconnected while battery still had charge.

Fully charged, the AGM battery will make it through the winter without freezing and without needing to be charged.
You can still turn the lights on when you get there, and as you warm the cabin up you'll have more power. Make sure it's charged again and all loads (including inverter) are shut off before leaving.

+9F ain't nuthin', SunXtender OK at 25% SoC without freezing.
-53F, needs 75% SoC
If your location dips below -94F, consider burying the batteries underground.

Determine record cold temperature (I haven't found that for Camden) and use to adjust Voc from PV panels, make sure it won't exceed spec of charge controller.

Back