diy solar

diy solar

Flexible Panels hit Prime Time?

Not really a fair comparison to judge new flexibles against used glass domestics for RV easy fit & lower weight advantages
Both have pros and cons for sure. I took a hit on weight and install complexity as i have a 3 tier stack or rigid panels but for me it was important to get 400+ah a day in charging during the summer. The 1500w at 22% efficiency lets me put up to 100amps @12v toward my lithium

From what members have said the "old" flexible panels didn't even last 5 years and weren't worth the $$. It sounds like the new ones can stand up to the outdoors, at least they have a warranty for it. Hopefully, some members that were early adopters will post numbers showing readings when new and first year numbers, plus any updates on discoloration, delamination, etc.

CIGs have a great reputation in general for being reliable, also for being $$.

Big agree that CIGS panels are generally expensive. So were GPS receiver a while ago ?

I would recommend looking at the miasole one. It's 50W rated for 80USD.

Sure as hell beats "rich solar" (LOL) which is 80W for 260USD. Ouch.

miasole CIGS = 1.6USD/W.
richsolar CIGS = 3.25USD/W.

miasole CIGS = 0.6W/USD
richsolar CIGS = 0.3W/USD

still more expensive than buying used mono rigid panels, of course.

they are both CIGS but I do consider the miasole one to be a fundamentally more affordable proposition. the build quality of the miasole 50W flex seems slightly less durable than the richsolar 80W flex, but still quite good.

anyways just sharing! the resilience to shading is nice.

Back