diy solar

diy solar

Flexible Panels hit Prime Time?

If you catch the flexible panels on sale Renogy will let you stack coupons on top of the sale and you can get the cost of the 175watt panels down to about $260-265. I bought 6 of them for my ultralight diy RV project.

Let me know if anyone wants me to shoot some video showing what they're like. From my experience, even in indirect sunlight they were putting out 22.1v on average. I would imagine that'd only go up since they were partially shaded when I was validating they were functional.
I would be interested in the video please.

My EPDM roof is 15 years old. What's one more patch?
ban-rollerbanana.gif
Right, and I am not selling my fifth wheel ever probably but I also have a new little lance trailer and enternabond with a flexible panel looks pretty attractive if they actually work.

There's a lot of threads on them: https://diysolarforum.com/search/300488/?q=flexible&o=relevance

Mostly about experiences where they don't last, but it looks like that might be changing. Will also did a recent review of CIGs that might interest you:
I cannot believe how cheap these panels are. Absolutely unreal! I never thought that these would drop in price.

There are flex panels that are incredible, but come at a high cost. Extremely high cost.

The cheap flex panels are still garbage in my opinion. I have destroyed so many, it's not even funny. I had a stack of panels pulling less than 60% after being on the roof of my rv for a year. I was very careful not to bend them either. And I had full output for the first few months.

My roof was completely rebuilt a few months ago. New decking and new rubber. I am gun shy right now about holes lol. It was about 7 grand to pay for it all.

I cannot believe how cheap these panels are. Absolutely unreal! I never thought that these would drop in price.

There are flex panels that are incredible, but come at a high cost. Extremely high cost.

The cheap flex panels are still garbage in my opinion. I have destroyed so many, it's not even funny. I had a stack of panels pulling less than 60% after being on the roof of my rv for a year. I was very careful not to bend them either. And I had full output for the first few months.
Uh oh. Better buy before Will does a video.

Uh oh. Better buy before Will does a video.
It's a catch-22, you can't know if they're any good until Will does a video. Once he gives the thumbs there's about a 1 hour window before the price goes up or they're sold out. That's why you need to subscribe to his channel and sign up for alerts. ;)

It's a catch-22, you can't know if they're any good until Will does a video. Once he gives the thumbs there's about a 1 hour window before the price goes up or they're sold out. That's why you need to subscribe to his channel and sign up for alerts. ;)
If I personally like something, I have to buy it before I post the video ? My viewers will run it out of stock for months! Or yes, the price will go up. I hate that. Especially aliexpress/ebay items. They will boost the price 30% on the first day!

If you catch the flexible panels on sale Renogy will let you stack coupons on top of the sale and you can get the cost of the 175watt panels down to about $260-265. I bought 6 of them for my ultralight diy RV project.

Let me know if anyone wants me to shoot some video showing what they're like. From my experience, even in indirect sunlight they were putting out 22.1v on average. I would imagine that'd only go up since they were partially shaded when I was validating they were functional.
Where do you get these coupons?

Whoa... that would be a weird feeling
for cycle riders when entering a sweeping turn and the urge to lean occurs. ?
there could be leg pressure sensors to detect roll of driver and use that as supplemental input to control loop

Also, a lot of times it's cheaper to buy renogy panels from Amazon. They forget to update their sales prices so Amazon has the sale price longer. :)

If I personally like something, I have to buy it before I post the video ? My viewers will run it out of stock for months! Or yes, the price will go up. I hate that. Especially aliexpress/ebay items. They will boost the price 30% on the first day!
That's the truth. Fortunately I bought my Valence batteries before you posted that video. I was thinking about getting one or two more and you ruined that idea.. Thanks a lot!.. :ROFLMAO: But it was a good thing too. I was able to put that money towards my EVE cells at a much less cost per wh. So thanks for that too.(y)

The Renology flex panels only have a 5 year warranty on material and workmanship. So if they fall apart in 61 months you are out of luck.

I have a project coming up that flexible panels would be perfect for, the target is for 1500W of solar generation, but really worry about having $2500 worth of problems with the Renology product.

The CIG's look interesting but pricey. Do they really truly last as advertised?

The Renology flex panels only have a 5 year warranty on material and workmanship. So if they fall apart in 61 months you are out of luck.

I have a project coming up that flexible panels would be perfect for, the target is for 1500W of solar generation, but really worry about having $2500 worth of problems with the Renology product.

The CIG's look interesting but pricey. Do they really truly last as advertised?
I am cooking mine in the desert sun every day. Will have results in a year.

And there are lots of studies to prove CIGS longevity. They have been around for a long time, but used to be much more expensive. I had no clue they would be an option in my lifetime. I have no clue what manufacturing processes made these available at such a cheap price.

On the other hand, normal flex panels degrade to 60% output in a year, in my experience. I used so many over the years on my rv's and on a minivan I lived in. Junction boxes used on these flex panels for bypass diode is garbage as well. I have had them crack on me in less than a year! And the traditional silicon cell they use is not meant to be flexed. Every time you bend it, micro cracks, or sometimes large cracks, develop and cause permanent loss in output. And damage the bus bars on the cell. It is plain silly.

With everything said about CIGS, I would still go with glass panels. They are dirt cheap! It is hard to beat them.

But if you need flex panels, it is worth every penny to go with CIGS versus those cheap silicon cell flex panels. Even if the warranty is good, you will have to take your whole array apart in a year or so when the output is reduced.

I am cooking mine in the desert sun every day. Will have results in a year.

And there are lots of studies to prove CIGS longevity. They have been around for a long time, but used to be much more expensive. I had no clue they would be an option in my lifetime. I have no clue what manufacturing processes made these available at such a cheap price.

On the other hand, normal flex panels degrade to 60% output in a year, in my experience. I used so many over the years on my rv's and on a minivan I lived in. Junction boxes used on these flex panels for bypass diode is garbage as well. I have had them crack on me in less than a year! And the traditional silicon cell they use is not meant to be flexed. Every time you bend it, micro cracks, or sometimes large cracks, develop and cause permanent loss in output. And damage the bus bars on the cell. It is plain silly.

Thanks Will -- it is appreciated. Are you aware of any big capacity CIGS?

Thanks Will -- it is appreciated. Are you aware of any big capacity CIGS?
I found some pretty big cigs Panels (up to 560w) on Alibaba but not sure how good they are.

Last edited:
Back