diy solar

diy solar

Flexible Panels - Which would you choose and why: Sunpower, Renogy, Merlin

RockyMtn14K

I am going with flexible PV panels for our current RV. I know someone will disagree and say if I don't go rigid glass, I will forever regret it and be voted off the island by the tribal council. I have my reasons to go with flexible panels. That said, I'm trying to balance the cost/performance of 3 mfrs. Was primarily focusing on either Sunpower or Renogy, but a 3rd candidate just got thrown into the ring. Battle Born just released flexible PV panel packages (with battery and charge controller). BB says they are using Merlin Solar panels, and looks like Merlin's FX series. I wouldn't be buying Battleborn's package, but Merlin does look interesting. Somewhat different architecture than the others. Anyone have direct experience with them? They are a price premium over even Sunpower, who I thought was going to be the most expensive.

Anyone have experience/thoughts between the 3: Renogy, Sunpower, Merlin, for flexibles?

Wasn't looking for a rigid/flexible debate. Let's assume all glass rigid panels are now found to be highly radioactive and will kill you and your family. All that is left on the planet are flexible solar panels. You have 3 vendors to choose from; Renogy, Sunpower, Merlin. Which do you choose and why?

Last edited:
I am going with flexible PV panels for our current RV. I know someone will disagree and say if I don't go rigid glass, I will forever regret it and be voted off the island by the tribal council. I have my reasons to go with flexible panels. That said, I'm trying to balance the cost/performance of 3 mfrs. Was primarily focusing on either Sunpower or Renogy, but a 3rd candidate just got thrown into the ring. Battle Born just released flexible PV panel packages (with battery and charge controller). BB says they are using Merlin Solar panels, and looks like Merlin's FX series. I wouldn't be buying Battleborn's package, but Merlin does look interesting. Somewhat different architecture than the others. Anyone have direct experience with them? They are a price premium over even Sunpower, who I thought was going to be the most expensive.

Anyone have experience/thoughts between the 3: Renogy, Sunpower, Merlin, for flexibles?

First things I Would be looking at would be:
1. Cost per Watt
2. Warranty
3. Watt / sq.ft.
4. Killer features(?)

Some other questions that would be useful to answer if possible:
Who makes Renogy and Merlin panels?
Why the price premium for Merlin? Who is Merlin what is their reputation?

Why the price premium for Merlin? Who is Merlin what is their reputation?

That's a good question on Merlin, I'm still trying to figure out. I had not heard of them before. Battleborn has earned an excellent reputation and they 'seem' like a smart enough company not to sell a crap product, and have started selling Merlin's panels in their bundled systems. From what I can tell Merlin does or contracts their own manufacturing in overseas plants, not OEMing someone elses technology. Headquartered in San Jose, started in 2012. Aquired by Ayala Corporation last year. Article on them. Their grid connection technology seems to solve some of the problems with flexible panels going bad. Found a slightly humorous torture test video throwing bags of concrete on panels, running over them with dirt bikes, even shooting through them with arrows, with little degredation in performance.

That's a good question on Merlin, I'm still trying to figure out. I had not heard of them before. Battleborn has earned an excellent reputation and they 'seem' like a smart enough company not to sell a crap product. From what I can tell Merlin does or contracts their own manufacturing in overseas plants, not OEMing someone elses technology. Headquartered in San Jose, started in 2012. Aquired by Ayala Corporation last year. Article on them. Their grid connection technology seems to solve some of the problems with flexible panels going bad. Found a slightly humorous torture test video throwing bags of concrete on panels, running over them with dirt bikes, even shooting through them with arrows, with little degredation in performance.

Thanks for sharing your research so far!

I just checked out their website too, first impression is they seem like a quality focused company focusing on niche areas of solar, (frameless, rugged, panels, for harsh conditions or extreme applications.

I may know of one company using their panels, though they don't/won't share their source of PV panels. They are a builder that targets the high end of the #vanlife market, they do semi-custom builds not consumer sales. Their prices are jawdropping but their are a ton of people throwing around a ton of money frivolously in that space right now and they have a sought after product and apparently top notch build quality. They didn't bother to directly answer any of my technical questions regarding performance in higher temperatures, expected output, etc, and I stopped looking into them at that point. But have been curious about those panels ever since (this builder uses them for 'solar roof decks' which is intriguing).

Here are pictures of each
(1) Merlin FX
04.jpg
(2) Merlin GX
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

(3) Battleborn
IMG_20200601_172506-600x450.jpeg

(4) Tiny Watt Solar
Screenshot_20200821_144042.png

Last edited:
I may know of one company using their panels, though they don't/won't share their source of PV panels. They are a builder that targets the high end of the #vanlife market, they do semi-custom builds not consumer sales. Their prices are jawdropping but their are a ton of people throwing around a ton of money frivolously in that space right now and they have a sought after product and apparently top notch build quality. They didn't bother to directly answer any of my technical questions regarding performance in higher temperatures, expected output, etc, and I stopped looking into them at that point. But have been curious about those panels ever since (this builder uses them for 'solar roof decks' which is intriguing).

These are the Merlin Solar manufactured panels; they're pricey but very good. I've been researching them since taking a look a SUV rooftop setup, which came from 4(something)d solar. They are also the same panels rebadged and sold by battleborn.

I wonder if you received the poor response to your technical questions from the same place I contacted, with equally poor response...?

I haven't found a single place that will sell these panels, without having to buy a complete bundle of other parts.

Reactions: Dzl
Something to consider: What deteriorates the output of rigid glass panels? Airborne particulates making micro abrasions over the years.

With flexible panels you get some type of plastic instead of glass. How is that going to hold up to airborne micro abrasions. Or UV rays from the sun. How are your plastic car headlights holding up? Nothing like glass ones.

Having said that, I do hope that flexible panels become extremely durable. I have no idea how they are doing in 2020.

I see a niche company doing well someday - by making flexible panels for custom fits. Like accommodating the skylights on a camper roof. We could make solar work in so many more places.

Reactions: Dzl
...What deteriorates the output of rigid glass panels? Airborne particulates making micro abrasions over the years.

Do you have a source for that? Seems like if it were soley due to micro abrasions panels could be brought to brand-new state by polishing. AFAIK, they can't. Don't know for sure, but I'd say it was more likely energetic particles breaking down the p-n junctions.

Do you have a source for that? Seems like if it were soley due to micro abrasions panels could be brought to brand-new state by polishing. AFAIK, they can't. Don't know for sure, but I'd say it was more likely energetic particles breaking down the p-n junctions.

Source was a pro solar guy on youtube. Didn't make total sense to me but he seemed legit and definitely experienced. Opinions seem to vary. Couldn't the junctions be replaced?

At any rate flex panels had a poor longevity rep a few years ago. I just replaced a plastic headlamp two hours ago due to degradation.

It would be fantastic if custom panels could be built to accommodate skyights etc. The idea has merit.

RockyMtn14K, I saw an ad for Merlin Solar recently and googled them and found your thread. Did you come to a decision or purchase? Can you say what it was and why?​

After feedback and much contemplation, abandoned flexible panels and went with standard glass mono 200W panels. Flexible just wasn't worth it from cost, lifespan and install complexities, as didn't want to stick them to TPO RV roof.

As I understand it, we're not to post affiliate links, but if you hear of places that have deals on these (esp with Black Friday approaching), please post!

Back