diy solar

diy solar

flexible portable 26650 battery bank

Arnlej

Hi,

i think about making a flexible portable battery so it will be less painful to carry on my back (better fit), and less subject to damage if i fell :

16s4p made of 64 x 28650 cells of LiFePO4, approx 5kg, 420 mm height, 260 mm width, 26 mm thick (like a very big laptop) to fit in a backpack.

Instead of the classical way (nickel strip + PVC wrap) which makes the battery rigid :

- interconnect the cells with 26 mm long AWG12 silicone copper soldered on both ends on the minimal length of nickel strip so that i could easily spotweld them.
- protect the contact with kapton as usual
- wire the BMS as usual
- pour flexible silicone in between the cells (maybe entirely fill the gap). Expected both mechanical and thermal gains.
- slide it in a kevlar aramid sleeve to add somme protection (although it would be protected by the backpack)

Downside is it would definitely add weight (up to 10%, depends on how much silicon)

do you think that would work and have expected benefits ?

thank you,
Arnaud

hey Pollenface,
mainly to add range (about +40km) to my electric skateboard.
Also to have a nice portable battery bank when hiking.
at some point I might add a mppt and foldable 100W solar panels.
Last case is to have a backup solution for my electric river boat, she is also 16s Lifepo4 but 200Ah. When I cant get electricity at the river level, I can find a place in town to charge. This portable 10ah capacity would give my boat +10 km (downstream :)

Back