diy solar

diy solar

SunGold Power SP6548 Flickering lights after new install

Haven't had much time to mess around but I did change out the fans. Not much to report, flickering is better on constant on bulbs but still an issue with anything that dims. Going to stop throwing parts at this and see what the manufacturer comes back with (if anything).

Makes sence, seems like you've already put alot of time and effort into this

Last edited:
I have an E2 and I am an electrical engineer by trade yet he refused to issue me a permit. I had all the required drawings and engineering reports but I am not an "experienced solar installer or a licensed company" so he refused. Long story, but after months of back and forth it was just easier to pay someone else. TBH I installed 98% of it and all I paid for was the final hookup and pulling of the permits. The city has a serious racquet with a few install companies that give a kickback to the city in the form of donations to parks etc so it is legal. If you use them you get an inspection within a week. My neighbor did not use one of those companies, been waiting since may for a final inspection to commission the system.
Welcome to the Government.
Had the same exact problem here.

Tried to shake me down because it’s was all DIY even though I had all the documentation.

Eventually had to just get Transfer switch permitted and then instead of using generator used solar instead.

Major Racket..

I totally agree, but we should not be outsourcing so much of this stuff to China....but we do and we get questionable products and components as a result. So, we get cheap, sometimes malfunctioning products billed as quality. It's the price we currently pay.
We have the ability to make them here.
Problem is China just buys them then Reverse engineers them. Makes a ton of clones and put company out of business.

Try to sue them for IP or patent or whatever and suddenly it’s Government company and you can’t sue a Government.

We have the ability to make them here.
Problem is China just buys them then Reverse engineers them. Makes a ton of clones and put company out of business.

Try to sue them for IP or patent or whatever and suddenly it’s Government company and you can’t sue a Government.
This is exactly what happens and the only way around it is to have a large respected company in China make your product so that the other companies in China fear crossing them and facing the wrath of the CCP.
Of course this mafia style protection is going to cost you in terms of sharing IP with them and giving them some regions of the global market share that they are free to distribute their own branded copy of your product.
Your only leverage is making sure you have patents on your design in the major countries. They are able to sell it in those regions using your permission, which means if they screw you the permission is revoked.

For the CCP they are only interested in the foreign revenue so they are not happy if something cuts into that.

This is exactly what happens and the only way around it is to have a large respected company in China make your product so that the other companies in China fear crossing them and facing the wrath of the CCP.
Of course this mafia style protection is going to cost you in terms of sharing IP with them and giving them some regions of the global market share that they are free to distribute their own branded copy of your product.
Your only leverage is making sure you have patents on your design in the major countries. They are able to sell it in those regions using your permission, which means if they screw you the permission is revoked.

For the CCP they are only interested in the foreign revenue so they are not happy if something cuts into that.
Yup. That’s unfortunate.
Have seen other manufacturers of others things try to get satisfaction from Chinese Clones.
State Department just Says “Sorry” and international courts won’t even hear the case.

So basically they get to do whatever they want with zero accountability.

On a positive note they did reach out this morning asking me to describe the issues again. After 30 plus emails you would think they got it by now. I am assuming the US engineering team received the unit and are looking into the issue.

On a positive note they did reach out this morning asking me to describe the issues again. After 30 plus emails you would think they got it by now. I am assuming the US engineering team received the unit and are looking into the issue.
They are pretty good at manipulating you and playing with your emotions, I have to give them extra points for that. The way they convinced you to keep it instead of initiate the paypal dispute was masterful. They should use this thread at the factory in China to help explain how to string customers along with false promises.

They are pretty good at manipulating you and playing with your emotions, I have to give them extra points for that. The way they convinced you to keep it instead of initiate the paypal dispute was masterful. They should use this thread at the factory in China to help explain how to string customers along with false promises.
Hahaha it's OK I opened a dispute with VISA which is where the Paypal payment came from. I have another 30 days or so. They requested all the correspondences from SunGold Power in the meantime just to show I gave them a "reasonable amount of time" to remedy the issue.

It's already a well known playbook in China. Pretend to care just long enough that the deal is sealed.
They also make sure that they have multiple active accounts on every platform and they all are selling the same product for slightly different prices. If they get into an issue with one account it's no big deal, they pocket the money and suffer the account getting closed down. Business is still running just fine on the other accounts.

Last edited:
So I pulled the circuits that have dimmers out of the panel and temporarily tired them into an Ego Nexus Power Station. That is a pure sine inverter as well, no flickering at all. I do not have a scope to check the wave on the 6548 but the voltage and hertz are correct and not jumping. Appears to be an inverter deficiency. What a disappointment. I have leviton and lutron led dimmers attached to philips and cree bulbs so not cheap hardware. Only other thing I can think of is it's some kind of noise on the DC side... shrugs
I had a Renogy 12v/3000w PSW Inverter in my system to start out Battery back was 12v. Lights flickered. I replaced the 12v/3000w inverter with a 24v/4000w inverter. I also reconfigured the (8) 100Ah SEALED Batteries to a 24v bank (2p4s). The pulsing went away. I think the high current on the DC side of the inverter made it harder for the inverter to keep the voltage output precise. Also, sometimes I was running the inverter close to max.

Reactions: Zwy
Don't forget SolArk, Apple, Dell all also made in China but are highly regarded.. Not all Chinese products are bad just because they are built there.

Don't forget SolArk, Apple, Dell all also made in China but are highly regarded.. Not all Chinese products are bad just because they are built there.
No the products are not all bad but the way they manipulate the market is.
The reason Apple, Dell, Sol-Ark, Ect, do well is because of the backend customer service and the ability to hold the manufacture to not sell clones.

Most Clone Chinese manufacturers could care less. It’s a pump and dump until they ruin the entity they are using to push the product Then just close it down and run another one.

AliExpress and Alibaba.com are full of them.

Last edited:
You're not wrong. Their business model is pure shit. Copy product, undercut price of original, offer long warranty and then close up shop.

I love how they give you 10 -25 year warranties that are basically no good after a year. If you try and use it, they'll have since re named the company. Thus absolving any right of warranty you had. Then produce identical products under a different company name.

They have verified that the original unit is in the hands of their engineer in California. I requested that he call me as that would make things much easier than playing the telephone game though her but so far no response on that request.

I was sent his contact information. Plan to give him a call on monday. Since it is a cell number and I am not sure if it is a personal or business owned line I don't want to post it. If it was sent to me I would expect anyone else with a faulty unit to be able to request it.

Back