diy solar

diy solar

Flickering lights

Umm. woops- talking to ghosts
Not me though - and I'm the one hijacking his thread :)

Maybe make an exception in this case, and see what happens with non-dimmable (just keep your dimmer turned up all the way.) Dimmable is supposed to vary in intensity with chopped AC. If output from inverter warbles, it obliges. So maybe non-dimmable will suck extra juice trying to maintain constant output. Maybe a premium/name brand. I think it was CFL that rode through voltage variations due to my electric furnace, while a different type (incandescent) dimmed.

I did try some dimmable LED once, in a range hood. I didn't like the flicker, now using incandescent. The things are supposed to deliver steady dimmed light, not follow every clipped cycle! Might need a bigger capacitor.
Oddly, in my case the issue only happened with the dimmer full throttle. Now I know why anyway - the two dimmers are interacting in weird ways. Probably nothing to worry about.

Regarding stove hood - I'll share an interesting experience I had with mine. I bought the best dimmable LEDs I could find and they still flickered. Then after replacing one of them with the xenon's I was using before I noticed that with one xenon bulb and one LED the no longer flicker. And even better, the xenon bulbs now last about year without burning out whereas before they were burning out every 2 - 3 months. I'm not really sure what's going on there but now I use one of each.

Not me though - and I'm the one hijacking his thread :)
Hi Jack, I'm Wynot and I'm glad the thread continues.
Now I know why not to put 12 volts DC through a 120 volt light switch to control a 2 HP whole house fan. It's because 170 Amps likes to arc.

Regarding stove hood - I'll share an interesting experience I had with mine. I bought the best dimmable LEDs I could find and they still flickered. Then after replacing one of them with the xenon's I was using before I noticed that with one xenon bulb and one LED the no longer flicker. And even better, the xenon bulbs now last about year without burning out whereas before they were burning out every 2 - 3 months. I'm not really sure what's going on there but now I use one of each.

Could be response of an amplifier or switching circuit that was designed and tested for resistive load, suddenly confronted with capacitive reactance.

Normal dimmer is triac, turned on part way through the cycle and turns off at phase reversal. This one may be different.

Mine also has a 3-speed inverter for fan. But it's not 3-phase. Another near-identical unit, I blew up the electronics (degreased/hosed off but got impatient and didn't let it dry enough before plugging in.) Anyway, it still runs, on slow speed, with single phase.

I have been told on the forum that flickering lights were caused by cheap LEDs.
I have yet to find one that does not flicker even when they say no flicker on the package.
If anyone finds LEDs that are the so called good ones, please let us know.

Last edited:
I have been told on the forum that flickering lights were caused by cheap LEDs.
I have yet to find one that does not flicker even when they say no flicker on the package.
If anyone finds LEDs that are the so called good ones, please let us know.
My LVX6048 also flickers when the sun is out (generally speaking)
I picked up a box of recessed retrofit downlights on clearance at Menard's (SKU: #473-1190) a while back. They run on 120v/60Hz grid power and do not flicker. Does that count?

have yet to find one that does not flicker even when they say no flicker on the package.
Depends on what you consider flicker- voltage fluctuation at a moderate cycle will vary a lot of LEDs that are 120V.
I have several 120V LED bulbs that don’t flicker, and none of my DC LEDs flicker.
Maybe you need a capacitor or other ‘filter’ to ‘fix’ some inductive load? Or a different/better inverter.

I picked up a box of recessed retrofit downlights on clearance at Menard's (SKU: #473-1190) a while back. They run on 120v/60Hz grid power and do not flicker. Does that count?
None of my LEDs flicker on grid either. no matter how cheap. Are yours run off an inverter?

Last edited:
None of my LEDs flicker on grid either. no matter how cheap. Are yours run off an inverter?
Nope, no inverter, straight off the grid (powered by coal).
My LED headlights don't flicker on my 30+ year old Chevy. Dunt think there is an inverter in there either.

May not flicker from your perspective from behind the wheel, but perhaps for oncoming drivers as you pass by.
Tail lights do that, I've observed.

I was doing some more research on this and found my own thread haha. I’m glad to see more responses. I will try a few things and update.

Back