diy solar

diy solar

Flooded lead acid battery life if not used

Aliexpress has them for $299 plus free shipping via Hong Kong Air.
??
Is that store 100156456901? Or the "Official VIP" Battery store (located in Sri Lanka selling Chinese products at a fabulous discount to what the Chinese are selling them for)?

Have to get my order in for next's year delivery. :)

Holy cow batman! Those are really neat. Thanks for sharing. What is the purpose of the electrolyte pump? Cooling? Filtering out sulphate?

Almost 5' tall. A 48v set of them would be 336 KWH. It would take >50 kW of solar to properly charge them.

I got 23 years out of my Rolls Surrettes.
Hi Ozsolar,

I am interest in Rolls Surrettes battery. Is it Flooded battery that got you 23 years?

I just go through their website and they have a lot of batteries.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Monbel

Hi Ozsolar,

I am interest in Rolls Surrettes battery. Is it Flooded battery that got you 23 years?

I just go through their website and they have a lot of batteries.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Monbel
Hello Monbell,

They are 4KS 21P. Looks like they still make them. One of the 2V cells failed about 6 months ago. I removed it, rewired the battery bank for 46v nominal, adjusted the voltage parameters and we were back in business. If you closely at the picture you can see the missing cell.

Actually it's 23 years and counting. I just put them through a cursory cycle test the other day they still can run our house for a bit over 12 hours so they have some life left in them.

It's a long story but this is the third place they've lived with me. Only a few years were full time off grid. The rest of that has been as back up power so they haven't been cycled daily but still I'm impressed.

Cheers!

edit to fix part #

708075D3-76FA-4064-B83F-33BC4DDAB55E.jpegF5DB62B4-56A5-4497-8434-89ADB807C1DF.jpeg

Last edited:
If my very used Rolls bank became unfit for service i would be interested in replacing them with large 2v cells like that. I have nothing against lifepo4 and have 5.8kwh worth in my rv, but there is something comforting about the ‘known quantity’ and ‘low variables count’ of using a minimal number of very large cells, known to be well-built, brand new with known (ie zero) history, with very old/settled technology. Just seems like there’d be a 99.9% chance id be getting what i’m paying for.

Back