diy solar

diy solar

Flooded lead acid battery. Question. 12 car battery. 4 years old.

tankace

I have a 4 year old flooded lead acid battery. It starts the car no problem. And did a load test pulls 800+ amps on a 900 amps battery.

Here is the problem. I notice one of the cells the one at the negative end was dry (other was ok). So I added distilled water to this one cell. And start charging it up. What I see is see is two things. The battery will not fully charge with a trickle charger (with battery out of car). The voltage while charging will not reach above 13.9 v. [ This trickle charge would bring "normal" batteries to 14.4v for a while and then tell me the battery is fully charge.] And I notice the cell where I need to add water bubbles a lot more then the others. And would dry out if charged at this level in a day or two.

My concerns is that the car charges at this 14.4 volt level and at a higher amps then the trickle charger, so even with daily driving it will dry out this cell.

I did hydro testing and voltage test for each cells. Does not seem to be much of a difference between cells.

So what is happening with this cell?
1. If I keep adding water to replace the amount "boil" away will it eventually balance out.
2. Or is is "boiling" because my acid concentration in this cell is less then the other hence boiling more? So I should add battery acid instead of distill water when dry??

Or am I better off not to try to fix this problem and keep it in the car and add water to this one cell if I can until the battery dies. But I am still carious to what people think is the problem with the cell.

If you have Triple A or drive with a spare battery, then you’ll be fine. Have to be comfortable with that.

Otherwise, 4 years is a good run for a battery and time for a new one.

After I start seeing things like that, I think the battery is giving its six month notice. When I am cleaning acid and this means my battery has six months of life left,

It is what it is. Check the water again in six months or just let it die and get a replacement.

Back