diy solar

diy solar

Flooded Lead Acid Revitalization.

MONBEL

How can I revitalize a 12v 200ah flooded lead acid battery? I have a 12v 200ah lead acid that was used for six months project in a remote area. I placed it on a 10A battery charge for 48hrs and it didn't come up. What should I do?

I mean, I placed the 12v 200ah battery on a 10A battery charger for 48hrs, and it didn't come up.

Was it charged regularly in the remote area?
What was the battery voltage before you hooked it to the charger?
What was the battery voltage after being on charger for 48 hours?
Do all 6 cells have enough electrolyte to ensure the lead plates are fully submerged? If yes, do not add any additional distilled water.
Have you checked the specific gravity of the 6 cells with a hydrometer using a take-in, expel, take-in, expel, take-in, expel, take-in, record value method?

Current flowing?
Be patient. Might take a week.

Is electrolyte covering the plates? If not, add distilled water. Not too much to avoid bubbling over while charging; plan to fill properly later.

If it does come up eventually, when done charging disconnect and let settle 12 hours, then check voltage. If low, needs higher equalization charge. Testing electrolyte specific gravity will also show.

10A / 200 Ah = 0.05C, low for FLA. Prefer 0.12C or so. If a manual is available that will specify charge rate. Also equalization parameters.

10A / 200 Ah = 0.05C, low for FLA. Prefer 0.12C or so. If a manual is available that will specify the charge rate. Also equalization parameters.
The manual is no longer available but my colleagues told me that I should use 20A automatic charger to charge it for 96hrs that it will come up. After 96hrs of charging, I should discharge the battery and charge it again.

Current flowing?
Be patient. Might take a week.

Is electrolyte covering the plates? If not, add distilled water. Not too much to avoid bubbling over while charging; plan to fill properly later.

If it does come up eventually, when done charging disconnect and let settle 12 hours, then check voltage. If low, needs higher equalization charge. Testing electrolyte specific gravity will also show.
Thank you. The electrolyte is covering the plate. My colleagues suggested same. The advice they gave me. My colleagues told me that I should use 20A automatic charger to charge it for 96hrs that it will come up. After 96hrs of charging, I should discharge the battery and charge it again.

Some batteries just won't be recovered. But I have had good luck using the Charge-It Battery Additive on weak batteries. Some say it's snake oil, and it surely doesn't save everything, but it definitely works on partially sulfated cells.

Was it charged regularly in the remote area?
What was the battery voltage before you hooked it to the charger?
What was the battery voltage after being on charger for 48 hours?
Do all 6 cells have enough electrolytes to ensure the lead plates are fully submerged? If yes, do not add any additional distilled water.
Have you checked the specific gravity of the 6 cells with a hydrometer using a take-in, expel, take-in, expel, take-in, expel, take-in, record value method?
No, it was not charged regularly, we disconnect the system. The battery volt was 10.5 volts before charging. After 48hrs of charging, it is 11.8 volts. The cell has electrolytes. Attached here on-screen is what the inverter is reading.

Attachments

• IMG-20230421-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230421-WA0013.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 8
You should use pure distilled water - only if the battery is low on acid and the plates inside are exposed (dry).
Okay, thank you. I am thinking of doing that but the gauge of the battery is still up. From 10.5 v to 11.8v after 48hrs of charging. See the reading from the inverter screen.
10A / 200 Ah = 0.05C, low for FLA. Prefer 0.12C or so. If a manual is available that will specify charge rate. Also equalization parameters.

Attachments

• IMG-20230421-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230421-WA0013.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 6
Some batteries just won't be recovered. But I have had good luck using the Charge-It Battery Additive on weak batteries. Some say it's snake oil, and it surely doesn't save everything, but it definitely works on partially sulfated cells.
How do you use it? Where can I get the charged-it Battery Additive? Any picture of it? Or shop link. Thank you.

I use pulsetech chargers to recover batteries with very good results. The worse ones I had to actually swap out the battery acid on since it just resettled onto the plates after the charger freed the buildup from the plates. Was fun experiments back in the day but now I just replace the batteries if I see it floating around in the cells really bad from using the charger.

No, it was not charged regularly, we disconnect the system. The battery volt was 10.5 volts before charging. After 48hrs of charging, it is 11.8 volts. The cell has electrolytes. Attached here on-screen is what the inverter is reading.

Battery additives are snake oil. Marketing claims are BS.

You can choose to use gimmicks, or you can choose to use the procedures recommended by the manufacturers who product batteries that typically last decades.

An equalization charge is far more beneficial; however, the battery must demonstrate the ability to achieve full charge voltage before equalization can be beneficial.

A FLA sitting for months completely depleted is going to be in bad shape, and may not be recoverable by any means. Even if it is recoverable, it will likely be significantly below rated capacity.

Check and record specific gravity of each cell.
Remove it from the system and leave the 10A charger on for another week.
Check and record specific gravity and voltage again.

I use pulsetech chargers to recover batteries with very good results. The worse ones I had to actually swap out the battery acid on since it just resettled onto the plates after the charger freed the buildup from the plates. Was fun experiments back in the day but now I just replace the batteries if I see it floating around in the cells really bad from using the charger.
Oh! Thanks for the Pulsetech chargers information. Do you know the specifications?

You can choose to use gimmicks, or you can choose to use the procedures recommended by the manufacturers who product batteries that typically last decades.

An equalization charge is far more beneficial; however, the battery must demonstrate the ability to achieve full charge voltage before equalization can be beneficial.

A FLA sitting for months completely depleted is going to be in bad shape, and may not be recoverable by any means. Even if it is recoverable, it will likely be significantly below rated capacity.

Check and record the specific gravity of each cell.
Thank you so much for the wonderful information. I appreciate. If 48hrs can increase the volts from 10.5 volts to 11.8 volts. That's mean, if I charge it for a week, it will definitely come up to 12.5 volts or more

Check and record specific gravity of each cell.
Not all battery additives are snake oil. The magnesium sulfate or aluminum sulfate based additives work, just they don't work after the cell is too far gone.

Back