diy solar

diy solar

follow up on LFP battery heaters for 280ah cells

backwash

Just a follow up on one idea for heating LFP batteries: For my LFP batteries (made from 280ah cells) I used a pair of reptile heaters (8*'x12" - 7watts AC each) and placed them on each side of each battery inside the group 31 case. so far I am happy with the results. although there isn't any temperature regulation they do a great job at heating up the batteries. Yesterday; it was 30 degrees out in the morning. the batteries were down to 37 deg. (still warm from yesterday) after turning on the heaters about 20 minutes later I noticed my victron charge controllers had kicked on and were charging. the battery temp was 45. (default for victron is to charge at 41deg) leaving the heaters on for most of the day the batteries continued to heat up to about 73 and I turned them off. This morning I tracked it closer. the batteries increased temp by about 10deg per hour. I just turned them off at 86deg after heating up since heating up for the last 8 hours to the afternoon. So no temp regulation but they do a great job of heating them up nice and gentle. also my batteries are not insulated as yet. that will come later. So for me it seems like a good solution. heat the batteries up at night. turn the inverter off along with the heaters at lights out. then turn them back on in the morning. heating them up again for a days charge cycle. You'll see the bus bar I have plugged the heaters in to on the lower right of the mounting board for the test.
bat_pic.jpg

Reactions: Dzl
Back