diy solar

diy solar

Ford E450 build

Tracerocks

Getting busy on my new E450 build.
I owned an E350 used Ryder Truck for nearly 30 years. Used it as a test platform for a rolling equipment truck/ recording studio with living quarters.

Had 500w of PV and 4 golf cart batteries. Could run my music equipment, fridge,TV and lights. Had a 900w AC I could run for a couple of hours and a propane heater.
Here’s the old Yellow Beast
194C9A61-A2AD-49C5-A155-890ECFFF12B3.jpeg

Last month I finally found the perfect vehicle for me. A new e450 with every available option that was specked out for FedEx. They decided all the options were too expensive and they didn’t take delivery on this one. I jumped on a plane to Detroit picked it up and drove it back to Denver. Had 45 miles on it when I took delivery.
775A11F9-B057-4D67-AB78-416B5B089D65.jpeg
It has the new Godzilla engine, which truly is a monster and an 18 foot box with 1100 cubic feet.
Best part is the side door and a six foot door from the cabin to the box. No more crawling though a freakin hatch!

Any suggestions on electrical build would be appreciated. Here’s where I’m heading.

1600-2000 watts pv on roof.
9000 btu mini split
Just received 4 SOK 206 amp batteries, will set up as 24v system.

Maybe a 3k inverter? Want to be able to run ac or heat and convection microwave at the same time.

I’m building interior with 80/20 aluminum and stainless steel. This one is not going to look like a home built project.

I’ll keep everyone posted as the build progresses.

Big upgrade. Love that big block power! I'd love to have a rig like that with my old Wilson Audio 2 channel setup. What transmission did it come with?

Big upgrade. Love that big block power! I'd love to have a rig like that with my old Wilson Audio 2 channel setup. What transmission did it come with?
It’s got the new 6 speed with 4.56 limited slip. So much power. It makes my old 460 feel anemic.

Maybe a 3k inverter? Want to be able to run ac or heat and convection microwave at the same time.
I don't recommend 3000 watt inverters at 12 volts.
Will you have any pure dc loads?
What about 240VAC loads?
My advice is to find the peak and continuous draw for each of these items using an ac/dc clamp meter and/or a kill-a-watt meter.
Heaters typically draw 1440 watts which is 80% of a 15amps@120VAC.
The others I could only guess at.

What about 240VAC loads?
My advice is to find the peak and continuous draw for each of these items using an ac/dc clamp meter and/or a kill-a-watt meter.
Yeah, I’m setting up the system for 24 volts

Getting busy on my new E450 build.
I owned an E350 used Ryder Truck for nearly 30 years. Used it as a test platform for a rolling equipment truck/ recording studio with living quarters.

Had 500w of PV and 4 golf cart batteries. Could run my music equipment, fridge,TV and lights. Had a 900w AC I could run for a couple of hours and a propane heater.
Here’s the old Yellow Beast
View attachment 58543

Last month I finally found the perfect vehicle for me. A new e450 with every available option that was specked out for FedEx. They decided all the options were too expensive and they didn’t take delivery on this one. I jumped on a plane to Detroit picked it up and drove it back to Denver. Had 45 miles on it when I took delivery.
View attachment 58544
It has the new Godzilla engine, which truly is a monster and an 18 foot box with 1100 cubic feet.
Best part is the side door and a six foot door from the cabin to the box. No more crawling though a freakin hatch!

Any suggestions on electrical build would be appreciated. Here’s where I’m heading.

1600-2000 watts pv on roof.
9000 btu mini split
Just received 4 SOK 206 amp batteries, will set up as 24v system.

I’m building interior with 80/20 aluminum and stainless steel. This one is not going to look like a home built project.

I’ll keep everyone posted as the build progresses.

Did it come with the dual alternator kit? Presume it did?

I just did a power system install in an neighbors E450 based RV. Also with the Godzilla engine. It had ample power on the highways/interstates.

What about 240VAC loads?
I know nothing of 240 volt converters.
There is one mini split system I’m interested in that runs in 240. Has the highest SEER rating and operates at the coldest temps that I’ve found.

Is there a converter that can output 240v and 120v simulate?

Did it come with the dual alternator kit? Presume it did?

I just did a power system install in an neighbors E450 based RV. Also with the Godzilla engine. It had ample power on the highways/interstates.
Unfortunately not. This was set up as a FedEx delivery truck and not an RV.

Would love to have the lithium alternator charging while driving!

How does your question relate to my comment?
I've tried and failed to connect them.

Iota makes universal interface converters.
Here is an example

UPDATE: Perhaps you mean a transformer, 120VAC to 240VAC?
I just assumed you might know about 240 volt systems when you asked if I had any 240 volt loads.

I just assumed you might know about 240 volt systems when you asked if I had any 240 volt loads.
I do but I'm not sure what you are asking for.
Is it something to convert 120VAC to 240VAC?
Or an inverter that does split phase 120/240VAC?
Or an ac2dc converter that runs off 240VAC?
Something else not covered above?

Back