diy solar

diy solar

Ford Maverick: PHEV < $20k MSRP

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
A 2.5-liter four-cylinder, 27 kWh liquid cooled battery, and a 94kw electric motor that combine for an output of 191 hp and 155 lb-ft of torque. Pairing it with a CVT automatic and front-wheel drive, Ford is targeting 40 mpg city and 500 miles of range. 36 miles in all-electric range.

"compact" pickup truck.
Unibody
front wheel drive only
4.5-foot bed with adjustable tail gate
1500 lb payload and 2,000 lb tow (Optional 4000 lb tow package)
110V/400 watt in the bed and cabin
Ford Co-Pilot360 (but not self-driving)
8.3 inches of ground clearance

2022-ford-maverick_100794604_h.jpg
UPDATE: It's not a Plug-in Hybrid, just a hybrid. The 27 kWh liquid cooled battery is in doubt too! So much for trusting what you find on the internet.

Last edited:
I would be interested in a hybrid 2 door Bronco. My Ranger is only 10 years old so it has at least another 10 years of life left in it.

... 27 kWh liquid cooled battery < $20K MSRP
Battleborn is $1K per 1.2 kWh, so 27 kWh would be $22.5k (and the maverick is liquid-cooled) ... what a deal! (betting I got something wrong in the PHEV pricing... ;-)

Last edited:
It's not a Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV), just a hybrid. The 27 kWh liquid-cooled battery is in doubt too!
Now the pricing is making a lot more sense! That'll teach me to believe what I see on the internet.

I like a truck to have a huge bed and a large (7500+lbs) towing capacity. I don't really care about the fuel efficiency or comfort, I care about how much big stuff I can bring with me, and if it can go off-road.

In a car, on the other hand, I want the best gas mileage possible, good safety features, able to fit 3 adults + driver, and a comfortable ride. Small is good, slow is fine.

With this, I feel like you get a comfy, large, 4 door sedan, with an El Camino sized bed, and decent gas mileage, without being able to tow anything more than a small, single axle trailer. I feel like you do sort of get some good features from both the truck and car market, but you miss out on the most important (for me, anyway) parts of both, either great gas mileage, or the ability to haul heavy things and traverse rough terrain.

I can see that there is a target market for this, but it's definitely not me.

Say what ??

When did this start ? ?
And they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

I kept wondering how anyone could possibly make a PHEV for under $20k (after the Earth-shot possibly, but not 2021!) and no one else seemed to think it was a big deal, they were more in shock over the idea of a "compact" truck I think.

There are a few EV trucks (e.g., Ford Lightning, Cybertruck) coming out, but I suspect the bulk that drive trucks other than a status symbol would prefer PHEVs over EVs. So, car manufacturers are more likely to get the message "folks aint' interested in EV trucks" and it'll take even longer for PHEV trucks to hit the mainstream.

The Honda Element failed to sell well because of incorrect marketing.

Honda marketed the Element to young Hipsters looking to camp at music festivals. The Element was such a brilliant, practical, affordable car that 50-something old farts like me bought them for the utility and value.

This caused young people to avoid them. No young person wanted to be associated with the old white men seen picking their noses at red lights in a Honda Element.

Ford appears to be making the same mistake with their Maverick marketing...

mav1.jpg mav2.jpg

The Honda Element failed to sell well because of incorrect marketing.

Honda marketed the Element to young Hipsters looking to camp at music festivals. The Element was such a brilliant, practical, affordable car that 50-something old farts like me bought them for the utility and value.

This caused young people to avoid them. No young person wanted to be associated with the old white men seen picking their noses at red lights in a Honda Element.

Ford appears to be making the same mistake with their Maverick marketing...

View attachment 58181 View attachment 58182
Did you ever drive a Hoda Element? Horrible ride quality and the manual shifter felt like stirring oatmeal. I like Honda products but the Element was a miss.

Good lord. The 68 inch bed in my crew cab Chevy is already too short.

Why do manufacturers keep insisting on less and less bed in pickup trucks. The bed is the sole reason for buying them. Otherwise you would just buy a full size suv.

I'm pretty sure my old two door gmc Jimmy has more cargo space that that thing with its seats down.

I guess there is still the option of putting a refrigerator standing upright in that thing if you really had to make a case for it....

What are you kidding? You want a full sized bed then buy a full sized truck! There's ton of choices out there.

In my opinion, this is a game changer for me. What's not to like, it starts at $20k, think of it as a car with a big trunk. This truck can be a true daily driver. I refuse to buy a car that doesn't get better than 30mpg. What's not to like about this truck. It's not a 2 door, so I'm not stuck with no storage in the cabin, therefore I'm not forced to buy a stupid truck trunk. It's got 4 doors so if I have more than one extra passenger I won't feel embarassed that I can't take them in my truck. The bed is small, yes. But is it that small? With it's tailgate down it can haul most things you need. Desks, filing cabinets, sofas (ok maybe not all sofas), beds, etc. Things you'd want to haul around. It can haul around 4x8 sheets above the wheel wells (which is what my car cannot do at the moment) and that's a big deal. For this reason alone I think it's worth it. I don't need to buy a F150 anymore.

I do hear the pain about the bed length, especially when hauling lumber, which I have an easy solution. I have a hatchback now that has the rear windows that opens. I've hauled plenty of 12ft boards through this car without any issues. So the easy solution is to make the rear window of this truck removable. Now you can extend any lumber all the way through the cab and out to the bed. A more awesome solution, and because this is a unibody construction, they should follow the Chevy Avalanche truck, where the rear seats fold down. It's a neat trick where you can have a short bed but extend when needed.

I'm not buying this truck yet. I'm just holding off until they release a PHEV version. There's a Ford Escape PHEV, with a 15kwh battery. It can go 40miles per charge. This Maverick is based off this design and has the space for that battery under the seats. So if it becomes a hit then I hope they will release a plugin version.

Now think about this, a plugin version. Most of the time my car sits in the parking lot all day under the hot sun. If I had a EV car I'd find a way to capitalize on that. With this being a truck, I can easily put two full sized solar panels on the back. It doubles as a tonneau cover. Someone on youtube has done it with a roof rack on his Nissan Leaf, and able to extend about 10miles to his range. So on the Maverick it will look more seamless and have the room in the back for it.

I'm not buying this truck yet. I'm just holding off until they release a PHEV version. There's a Ford Escape PHEV, with a 15kwh battery. It can go 40miles per charge. This Maverick is based off this design and has the space for that battery under the seats. So if it becomes a hit then I hope they will release a plugin version.
It would be nice if the vehicle were popular enough it became a PHEV and I read something similar to you that it was designed that way. The proposed $12k federal EV credit won't apply to the offered truck AFAIK, but it should apply to a PHEV (at least apply to Ford as they're UAW) and possibly bring the total price back down to around the $20k range.

Now think about this, a plugin version. Most of the time my car sits in the parking lot all day under the hot sun. If I had a EV car I'd find a way to capitalize on that.
Two 300W panels, say an average insolation of 3 since they're not tilt optimized, so that's 1.8 kWh/d or 4 to 5 miles range per day.
But the bed is only 4.5' long, a 300W panel is about 5.5' x 3.5'. So, you'd need smaller panels and you'd get fewer miles.
Possibly some fold-out arrangement for when parked? You'd also want low weight and low wind resistance or it'll cost you more than you gain.

Two 300W panels, say an average insolation of 3 since they're not tilt optimized, so that's 1.8 kWh/d or 4 to 5 miles range per day.
But the bed is only 4.5' long, a 300W panel is about 5.5' x 3.5'. So, you'd need smaller panels and you'd get fewer miles.
Possibly some fold-out arrangement for when parked? You'd also want low weight and low wind resistance or it'll cost you more than you gain.

Exactly my thinking! I would get two 330-350w mono panels. They would have to be 65in wide which should be within the width of the body. Yes it will be a pull out design, with one slid under the other. So when parked all you would have to do is slide one panel out the back of the truck by a foot or two. The wind resistance would be improved because it is acting like a tonneau cover over the bed. There's no reason to have a full tank of gas, so the weight would be offset by not filling the tank to the max. It's already sitting there in the sun so might as well make the most of it. If it can serve as a cover for the bed that would be excellent!

Back