diy solar

diy solar

"Ford secures battery supplies for 600,000 EVs a year from 2023"

And lowest on the curve is ~ 25F, burr, cold. We wear shorts in MN when it gets that warm.

Anyways, real world experience from my brother, cold cut his EV range in half.

So no mention of how you pulled "it rarely gets below 32F" out of your ass?

Are you kidding? There's more cars here than firearms!
What about the shin guards?
As soon as cars are not there anymore - and you drive on good developed bike paths. Very few will wear helmets and there are little injuries.

And a snarky needing to have the final word comment accomplishes what? How did the can't get covid if you get the vax data work out? Or can't spread it with the vax? Or won't end up in the hospital? This was all touted as correct, confident data, and the skeptics who turned out to be correct were slimed by snarky comments. I'm not ignoring any EV data, but I'm not accepting it as correct like a brainless sheep either. I don't believe this verbal gamesmanship is appropriate for a forum setting and won't continue. You are free to have the last word.

Nobody ever said those things about the vaccine. They said it reduced likelihood. And it has. And there have been new variants.

But then I completely expected you to be an antivaxer too.

Why are you hanging out on an alternative energy forum? There are plenty of places that are more likely to support your anti-science ideology.

Some years back I charted data on bike helmet use v fatality per km ridden (we have mandatory cycling helmet laws in Australia).

Helmet usage v fatality rate2.jpg

Back then I couldn't get data for all of Australia so showing our largest city data is the best I could do at the time. I did that because there were police blitzes specifically targeting and fining cyclists for not wearing helmets. It was being driven by the then complete tosser of a Police minister.

Things have improved considerably in cities like Paris and London, while the Dutch and the Danes have continued to lead the way.

While a helmet is generally helpful if you happen to have a spill, frankly, helmet wearing has bugger all to do with the safety of cycling in general. The biggest factors are:
- the cycling awareness and attitudes of the general driving population
- the availability of quality cycling infrastructure (not just cycle lanes but proper infrastructure, include storage and secure bicycle parking)
- cycling is normalised and not marginalised as a form of transport

It's a challenge particularly in anglophone nations.

Price a new 7.3 Powerstroke.
I dread the day I have to buy a new 7.3 Powerstroke for my '99 F250 SD. They say those engines will go 1 million miles but mine already has over 250k so there isn't much left already after just 23 years in service.

Tell me about it. The 6.5TD block in my GMC cracked after 200k miles. 7500 USD to have a basic rebuild in a replacement block. Dog of a motor. Transmission is coming up for rebuild now, gonna be another $3k. $10k for a battery doesn't look bad at all.

Some years back I charted data on bike helmet use v fatality per km ridden (we have mandatory cycling helmet laws in Australia).

View attachment 104983

Back then I couldn't get data for all of Australia so showing our largest city data is the best I could do at the time. I did that because there were police blitzes specifically targeting and fining cyclists for not wearing helmets. It was being driven by the then complete tosser of a Police minister.

Things have improved considerably in cities like Paris and London, while the Dutch and the Danes have continued to lead the way.

While a helmet is generally helpful if you happen to have a spill, frankly, helmet wearing has bugger all to do with the safety of cycling in general. The biggest factors are:
- the cycling awareness and attitudes of the general driving population
- the availability of quality cycling infrastructure (not just cycle lanes but proper infrastructure, include storage and secure bicycle parking)

My older brother was killed on a bicycle while wearing one of those egg shells back in 2000 on the U.S./Mex. border. Blunt force head trauma no less. I think I'll take advantage of the airbags in my ev and forego the peddles. Thanks.

My older brother was killed on a bicycle while wearing one of those egg shells back in 2000 on the U.S./Mex. border. Blunt force head trauma no less. I think I'll take advantage of the airbags in my ev and forego the peddles. Thanks.
I'm sorry about your loss, that's awful. I lost a leg from a cycling accident.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying anything about what individuals should/shouldn't do. Just pointing out that if reducing emissions is a goal then policies to help development and to encourage safe active transport options can play a decent part in that.

don't know how Australia's infrastructure for Bikes is.

In many parts of Europe Bike Trails are separate from the road - and I mean there is at least a curb, often a meter+ of grass and a few trees.

While in the US you got a white line painted on the right side of the street. (which isn't save at all, and not even planned out - since those end many times in random objects)
1659348327888.png

Then you got those beautiful ADA compliant sidewalks separate by a curb and 5-6 feet of grass and trees. in many areas in the US, perfect for cycling, but not allowed, and nobody uses them. Because it's too far to walk anywhere. Let's think about that. They already allocated the space for a bike line - so the total easement is wide enough. What about - adding that 4 feet of concrete/asphalt on the road to the sidewalk and paint the white line there.

It's the same amount of material, same width of the easement, same curb. No additional cost - and increases safety.
1659348408557.png

But the Economy is nobody thinking about the Economy? We can't just have happy citizen biking and be healthy.
Sustainability is not good for GDP. We need to sell more one purpose disposable goods to get GDP up. We can't have durable goods which people only buy once. You need to be miserable, sitting in traffic all day, so that when you come home "you earn it" to buy stuff you don't need.

don't know how Australia's infrastructure for Bikes is.

In many parts of Europe Bike Trails are separate from the road - and I mean there is at least a curb, often a meter+ of grass and a few trees.

While in the US you got a white line painted on the right side of the street. (which isn't save at all, and not even planned out - since those end many times in random objects)
View attachment 105008

Then you got those beautiful ADA compliant sidewalks separate by a curb and 5-6 feet of grass and trees. in many areas in the US, perfect for cycling, but not allowed, and nobody uses them. Because it's too far to walk anywhere. Let's think about that. They already allocated the space for a bike line - so the total easement is wide enough. What about - adding that 4 feet of concrete/asphalt on the road to the sidewalk and paint the white line there.

It's the same amount of material, same width of the easement, same curb. No additional cost - and increases safety.
View attachment 105009

But the Economy is nobody thinking about the Economy? We can't just have happy citizen biking and be healthy.
Sustainability is not good for GDP. We need to sell more one purpose disposable goods to get GDP up. We can't have durable goods which people only buy once. You need to be miserable, sitting in traffic all day, so that when you come home "you earn it" to buy stuff you don't need.

Thank You! I have been saying this for years. Why not just bike on the sidewalks, at least outside of downtown areas where sidewalks can be crowded with pedestrians.

If a cyclist is approaching someone on the sidewalk, just ring the bell and everyone moves to the right, just like on the road.

If they have ear pods in, slow down and go around them in the grass if necessary.

Much safer than being on the road with distracted, drunk or visually impaired, etc drivers.

No way would I bike unless there is a path separated from vehicles. I studied physics.

If a cyclist is approaching someone on the sidewalk, just ring the bell and everyone moves to the right, just like on the road.

If they have ear pods in, slow down and go around them in the grass if necessary.
What could go wrong? :unsure:
The same older brother who was killed in a biking accident 22 years ago at age 50 hit an old woman while riding his bicycle on the sidewalk in the neighborhood where we grew up when he was 8 or 9 years old. We were not allowed to ride in the street. Mom's law. The old woman was pretty scratched up and bruised. The police were called and my parents were notified of the crime. When asked by the arresting officer why he just ran into her from behind, his earnest response was; "Well... I said BEEP BEEP!"

What could go wrong? :unsure:
The same older brother who was killed in a biking accident 22 years ago at age 50 hit an old woman while riding his bicycle on the sidewalk in the neighborhood where we grew up when he was 8 or 9 years old. We were not allowed to ride in the street. Mom's law. The old woman was pretty scratched up and bruised. The police were called and my parents were notified of the crime. When asked by the arresting officer why he just ran into her from behind, his earnest response was; "Well... I said BEEP BEEP!"

What!? Your brother hit an old lady and she got scratched up and bruised, he could see her and say beep beep but couldn’t slow down/go around and avoid her? Oh wait, he later died in a bicycle accident, nvm.

Lol, “Bicycles take over the streets and stop traffic every last Friday of the month in San Francisco to protest the use of cars.”

I’m gonna protest my neighbors’ use of solar and plant evergreens to block his panels. Maybe get a fog/smoke machine too!

Not in California, you're not!
This is the land of Fruits and Nuts, remember?

(it was clear from satellite photos the neighbor positioned one PV array right next to fence where redwood trees were so they would be shaded. Balance of PV system was far away and unshaded.)
I think the tree owner should have just trimmed branches so no more than 10% of array shaded, by trunk. (law was based on thermal collectors). It would kill production but not violate law.

What!? Your brother hit an old lady and she got scratched up and bruised, he could see her and say beep beep but couldn’t slow down/go around and avoid her?
Hey...he was like 8 years old and bicycles back in the 50s were made out of heavy steel tubing and had a lot of other metal on them making it hard for a lil' feller to keep control, plus those pedal brakes were pretty rudimentary...nothing like those hydraulic disk brakes they put on those aluminium frame trick bikes that can stop on a dime on the front wheel no less. That bike was so heavy it had spring loaded forks!

8 doesn't even reach the age of accountability anyway and 1 thing I've learned since getting old myself, old people better just step back! ;)

Not in California, you're not!
This is the land of Fruits and Nuts, remember?

(it was clear from satellite photos the neighbor positioned one PV array right next to fence where redwood trees were so they would be shaded. Balance of PV system was far away and unshaded.)
I think the tree owner should have just trimmed branches so no more than 10% of array shaded, by trunk. (law was based on thermal collectors). It would kill production but not violate law.
Bummer. I like solar panels, but I like trees more, especially large redwoods. I also don't feel that the government (or anybody) should ever be able to force a property owner to remove a healthy, living tree from their property, assuming it was already there when the property was purchased, regardless of where it is. Trees take so long to grow and are such an important consideration when purchasing a piece of property that to force their removal against your will is unconscionable. Don't even get me started on eminent domain and all the abuses that concept allows.

I realize that trees are a dime a dozen in some parts of the country, but here in Central Texas you are lucky if you have a single tree.

Back