diy solar

diy solar

Fortress Envy 12kW inverter

It has customizable charge profiles, but yes, we are only allowing it for Fortress batteries and lead acid. We've been supporting other inverters technical support for years, and will continue to do so. But we're not about to take on that support role for the industry's cheaper (in more ways than one) batteries when we have a diverse 48V battery product line already. Companies like Tesla, Enphase, and Solaredge implement the same control scheme. We will support AC coupling of 3rd party solar inverters, generators, EV chargers, etc.

All of this has a time limit anyway because higher voltage batteries will replace 48V sooner rather than later, I think. The entire industry has high voltage batteries in their residential pipeline.

It has customizable charge profiles, but yes, we are only allowing it for Fortress batteries and lead acid. We've been supporting other inverters technical support for years, and will continue to do so. But we're not about to take on that support role for the industry's cheaper (in more ways than one) batteries when we have a diverse 48V battery product line already.
Only allowing it, meaning what? You void the warranty? Just don't offer tech support?

You will not be compliant with the Envy warranty if using a competitor's lithium battery on our battery inverter.
Same as Tesla, Enphase, SolarEdge...
As required by UL9540 Ed. 2

We're not launching this inverter to "take out" our inverter partners. We admire our inverter partners and want them to remain successful and look forward to new partnerships in the high voltage space, once the UL9540 Ed2 insanity passes. But we (nor other manufacturers) are ignoring the impact of looming UL9540 Ed 2 compliance and also want a solution to customers who want everything under one platform, which may become increasingly important as utility battery programs emerge.

It just so happens that the Envy is a very good inverter that non-Fortress users are right to be envious of.

PS I know Robby very well and would put him squarely in "super user" category. He is an electrical engineer who will call technical support and provide substantial design feedback and pick up additional product information along the way.
as long as he is an engineer not affiliated with an undisclosed solar company of any kind that is 100% cool. I think folks like FIiterGuy add a ton to this forum and in many ways, the superuser is the best kind of human here if the context is unaffiliated :)

You will not be compliant with the Envy warranty if using a competitor's lithium battery on our battery inverter.

That's all that needed to be said. No warranty if you use anything other than your battery or lead acid.

You also never answered my idle consumption question. What's the idle consumption?

About the same as the Sol-Ark / Enphase / other high voltage transformerless inverters of 12kW capacity.

It just so happens that the Envy is a very good inverter that non-Fortress users are right to be envious of.
reactions on Twitter: high resolution side eye monkey  https://t.co/wsR8CCVcOY / Twitter

@robby do you mind disclosing your business affiliations? I have no idea how you come by so much Solark knowledge without being connected to their team.

If you have none, that is cool, but from the spreadsheet of your comments I have it just doesn't seem that way.

the Envy is a better inverter with better software and better features in every way compared to the Deye/Solark 15k , heck it even has line balancing up to 8kw per 120v leg
I have no business affiliation with them. I am a retired Electronic Engineer so it's not all that hard for me to strike up a Technical conversation with other engineers at any company and get to know them. Plus many of us have worked in the same areas of electronics, so we have common experiences with companies that we have dealt with during our careers.

Same as Tesla, Enphase, SolarEdge...
As required by UL9540 Ed. 2

We're not launching this inverter to "take out" our inverter partners. We admire our inverter partners and want them to remain successful and look forward to new partnerships in the high voltage space, once the UL9540 Ed2 insanity passes. But we (nor other manufacturers) are ignoring the impact of looming UL9540 Ed 2 compliance and also want a solution to customers who want everything under one platform, which may become increasingly important as utility battery programs emerge.

A lot of people don't know about the changes that are happening with certification and the problems they are causing Tier1 battery companies.
I get why you guys are coming out with your own Inverter and we are already seeing other companies moving in that same direction.
BTW the Inverter looks great! I would love to see it reviewed by a third party so we can get a better idea of what it is capable of.

INV = ENVY
BTW john below your name that is under your avatar, and below that it says “Solar Enthusiast” you should change it to your company name and position. Like Fortress Power Dirtector.

The data sheet says “Integrated AC & DC Breakers for fast installation and commissioning.” But the user manual copies and pastes from the LuxPower/GSL manual which suggests that you need to purchase and install your own breakers. Which is it?

Attachments

• 4828400F-60C1-4E73-BAC8-256A96EFE76F.jpeg
    4828400F-60C1-4E73-BAC8-256A96EFE76F.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
The data sheet says “Integrated AC & DC Breakers for fast installation and commissioning.” But the user manual copies and pastes from the LuxPower/GSL manual which suggests that you need to purchase and install your own breakers. Which is it?
copy and paste before they got their wire box improvements from somebody who is sharing a factory with them...

Last edited:
I watched the video "Introducing The Fortress Power Envy 12KW". I don't think Sol-Ark needs to worry about any competition from this model. One of the things Sol-Ark has going for them is their max battery charging voltage is 63V, for the folks that still use FLA batteries.

Back