diy solar

diy solar

Forum image functionality.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
This not really a complaint but not finding a Forum usage area to ask my question.

When I use the Forums "Insert image" tool I always end up with a full size image. I can select thumbnail in the popup image that comes along in the editor but that just adds a thumbnail below the full image size. I see many posts with a line of thumbnail posts so obviously it is it something that can be done and I simply do not know the proper steps. Could someone clue me in to how to insert images only as thumbnail size?

When I add an image and it inserts it directly into the text area, I just delete it from the text area and the thumbnail (attachment) still exists. That way it doesn't clutter up the body of text. Sometimes the image is necessary inline, other times not so much.

I use the Snipping tool. It's as simple as snip then then control V.

I have it pinned to my task bar.

1679412046957.png

I think the issue is for people with slow links.
There is some way to provide a thumbnail; they they wait/burn bandwidth only if they click on it.

I've noticed that copy/paste of a bitmap takes longer to upload than if I take the time to save as .jpg and insert that picture.

High resolution pictures do fill the screen, and I usually drag the corners.

.. having done that, you could just click on the image, grab the blue dot in one of the corners of the image and drag it to make it smaller
Nice tip
I still resize pics to better fit and will continue to do so because of old webmaster habits of saving server space and bandwidth

But this would be great for those that upload huge screenshots that are a pain requiring multiple scrolls to see

I use Shortpixel on my Wordpress sites, including on a few that allow image uploads to the comments. It’s set to compress and make various sized images based on SRC and Wordpress serves the correct size at the request of the browser.

I am kind of shocked that Xenforo doesn’t have at least SRC serving based on browser. It’s still the best forum software for user experience though IMHO.

I just resize them using the corner grab tool. Click on the image and you can click and drag it.

Or use the resize menu option when you click on an image:

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.23.43 am.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 5.48.26 am.png

Once you place an image from a bit mapped file (png or jpg), if you click on image there will be a box with squares at each corner. Just drag the corner box to resize image.

I usually use jpg compression to reduce file size while examining result before inserting to ensure enough resolution is maintained. There is a limit to number of bytes in an image file that will be accepted. It will reject image if too large file size.

Last edited:
For those uploading pics from their phone, if you text the pics to yourself first, then save that image, THEN upload it, the phone automatically downsizes the pic nicely.

Back