diy solar

diy solar

Forum improperly formatting page

n4mwd

When I go to the page: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/diy-12v-lithium-battery-low-voltage-while-under-light-load.12993/
I get this....
Notice the gray bar going down the left side. Going to page 2 makes the problem go away, but I can't read the original post.
Can't do anything. Also, scrolling down yields miles and miles of nothing but white screen.

I've tried Firefox and MyPal browsers. Same problem. On mypal it didn't auto log me in because I don't normally use that one, but the problem is identical.

1602180661526.png

What version of Firefox it is?

Also you really should upgrade to windows seven (but not to windows 10, it's utter crap) as you can't use recent enough browsers with XP and you'll have more and more problems as time goes by.

XP so it's not going to be a new release. FYI FF 81.0 is fine (linux)

XP has several well known critical flaws that will never be addressed too. Connecting it to the internet and viewing web pages is just begging for trouble.

That looks to be quite an old version of Firefox; the last version on XP would be 52.9.0esr (released in 2018) - quite a bit behind...
If not the ESR version, it's a version going back to 2016.

Edit: didn't see that MyPal was mentioned. That one should be more recent. Can you try clearing your caches/hard reload?

Edit 2: Just tried the latest version of MyPal on my XP Virtual Machine with your URL; seems to work fine:
Screenshot_2020-10-09_12-18-45.png

Maybe you're running an older release?

Last edited:
I have version 52.9 on FireFox. Version 28.4.1 on MyPal.
Yes, agreed that Windows 10 is crap. I had to set up a new box for someone else that only worked with windows 10 and it was a real pain. Not only that, but the latest FireFox did not run remote camera software that I use. I had to go back to version 52.9 anyway.

I think that whatever is causing the formatting anomaly should be corrected. I go to several forums and this is the only one that does that. Why only specific threads, I don't know. Like this one is fine. For some reason, its the first post in certain threads that causes trouble. This time it was as shown, but other threads it superimposes text on top of other text making it unreadable.

I do have NoScript running on FF, but not on MyPal. NoScript isn't an Adblocker Per Se, but it does block foreign scripts that many ads use.

The perpetual scroll happens frequently too, but again, not on all threads.

I have never had a problem with XP, but I would not want to take it to an open Wifi. Seems fine behind my firewall. Even Windows 10 is constantly having mandatory emergency security updates so that means they still don't know what they are doing. It is more secure than XP, but is such a pain. I tried to upgrade to Win7, but they don't support the hardware of the machine.

I can attach more links to this thread as I find them if that will help.

One other thing that I noticed is that in THIS thread, the screen shots that were posted by myself and others are full page images. When I went to my Win7 laptop, they displayed as icons (as a guest user).

If you block all scripts completely the forum will still let you view pages, does that fix the problem? Changing the useragent to your's doesn't cause the problem so it's not that the forum is serving different HTML when it sees the old version. Might be a CSS issue?

Please check the edits in my post above. I tried the latest version (28.13.0) of MyPal on XP and it renders all fine. Please try clearing your cache and hard reloading the site.

Damn, WIndows XP! its been a while since I've seen that familiar old scene ?. Six years since the last security update, I think its about time for an upgrade, specifically considering you are running remote camera software in a browser ;)

You've got options:
Linux
OSX
Win7
Win10
Win10 LTSC <-- look into this if you want up to date windows but think win10's spyware and bloatware is crap.

I checked on my win7 laptop and the page loads fine with FireFox 47.0.2. Several versions back from this one.

I loaded the latest MyPal onto my old EEE PC 2G Surf running XP SP2. It also displayed the page fine.

I turned off hardware accelleration on this PC and the page still doesn't format properly.

It does seem to be something specific about this machine that shows the bug better than other machines.

Looks like Win10 LTSC is a better version for sure. It still looks like it forces updates. However, after several failed urban legend fixes to stop automatic updates, I finally stopped them by blocking the M$ update server on my router. Every time one of those updates came in I would have to spend hours having to fix all the stuff the update broke.

If you block all scripts completely the forum will still let you view pages, does that fix the problem? Changing the useragent to your's doesn't cause the problem so it's not that the forum is serving different HTML when it sees the old version. Might be a CSS issue?

Its only showing diysolarforum.com and google-analytics as the script. The latter is blocked. If I try blocking the first, it complains and says I need to enable Javascript.

I think you are right, it is some kind of CSS issue that gets stuck on something in my computer.

Back