diy solar

diy solar

Forum Website problems

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Good Morning

Something is amiss with the forum software.
Past couple of days it has been getting slower & slower in responding. Posting replies to threads (regardless of size) can be very slow at times. Sometimes it fails and you get an "oops something went wrong" message and an attempt to resubmit get's IP address blocked.
Also in past few days (4 or 5) notifications are not appearing in a timely fashion when replies or PM's and occasionally there is considerable lag.

These observations have been made in the "wee hours" between 01:00-05:00 EST and even during mid-day at 12:00 EST (which is when things are busiest it seems and not that unexpected as traffic is getting high).

PS, the fix to Search worked, it is so much better now, thanks.

...Well, tries to post a reply again to this thread...
I've hit that a few times....invariably it was some magic character that got into the post the system security didn't like. I found if I'd paste as plain text into email and then copy/paste back I could get rid of the problem.

Last edited:
Copied to Notepadd++ saved as regular text. Copied to Windows Notepad as well, copied from there and pasted as "plain text" and still no joy. My test msg took but the long response (not that big) won't. Nothing in it, no links or special formatting.

I even rebooted my Satelite Modem, Router & workstation to no avail.

BTW: Tried to post THIS response into this thread before rebooting and it also would not take. Something is definitely amiss.

I give up, even tried pasting the response into Libre-Office, stripping any/all formatting, saving as plain text and then re-pasting it and still fails.
Ohhh well.... ces't la vie.

Well Gosh Darn it ! Slather me with Molasses and bury me neck-deep in a Fire Ant mound... NOT ! ;-)

The @ should never be an issue, besides you & I just posted them...
Life's little mysteries.

The @ should never be an issue, besides you & I just posted them...

Yep, but it's probably context dependent, like some characters before and/or after the @. That's why it hasn't been noticed before.

I've had the forum spit the dummy when I post calculations but it's obvious what has gone on. I've also had the forum be very sluggish when making a plain text post too so there might be something going on, or it could, for my at least, just be an internet traffic related problem.

If anyone experiences similar issues again, let me know. It might have been a mod_security rule that caused it. We're not yet 100% sure it's solved.

@Will Prowse Maybe post a note site-wide so people can report this if they come across this issue?

Back