diy solar

diy solar

Found 4/0 cable locally

Netsua

Hey everyone. I live in a medium size midwest city and had been ordering my 4/0 cable from amazon because none of the local hardware stores (chain or local) stocked it. I just found out today that the auto parts store has a ton of it - and it's actually slightly cheaper than Amazon.

Was game changer info for me - so I thought it might be of use to others out there.

Auto parts?

Just be sure it's not junk aluminum wire. Usually all they sell is crap Chinese stereo stuff.

A welding supply shop is usually a way better bet.

Usually welding supply houses will carry it as it’s also used for welding cables. They need replaced periodically. Fine strand copper with a good rubber coating is the best I found.

I then crimp, flood solder, and heat shrink every connection.

Watch out for tin-copper. It is cheaper, but it has different current carrying capability.

This stuff appears to be basically identical to the EWCS welding wire I got on Amazon. Even says “welding wire” in simple font - and the fine stranded copper looks the same too.

Not saying there isn’t a difference, but if there is, I sure can’t see it!

So what “auto parts” stores did you find it at?

I can imagine an old crusty napa might have some old stock kicking around priced at early 2000’s.

This stuff appears to be basically identical to the EWCS welding wire I got on Amazon. Even says “welding wire” in simple font - and the fine stranded copper looks the same too.

Not saying there isn’t a difference, but if there is, I sure can’t see it!
Copper clad aluminum looks identical at first glance. You need to cut the strand and inspect it pretty closely. It's also much lighter than expected.

The difference is important to understand because terminating it improperly can cause issues for you later on.

It should say on the wire itself or packaging though.

Copper clad aluminum looks identical at first glance. You need to cut the strand and inspect it pretty closely. It's also much lighter than expected.

The difference is important to understand because terminating it improperly can cause issues for you later on.

It should say on the wire itself or packaging though.
Oriley is selling pure copper...
The cable will be SUBSTANTIALLY heavier than CCA

Do you guys all flood solder? My magnum manual never said anything about that. I use a nice hydraulic crimper, crimp gutentight, then seal with heat shrink,

The first bank I saw built the guy just hit the crimp with a janky spike and a 5lb sledge, so I thought I was over achieving.

Back