diy solar

diy solar

Framing the container

I went ahead with mostly what was in the video, and all is well. I did not use any screws through the side.

Since the ceiling cross members won't ever hold anything besides 2lb light fixtures I am not worried about load.
I will use a more substantial framing method across the back of the container where the power wall will be.

Overall, I'm happy with this method.

I went ahead with mostly what was in the video, and all is well. I did not use any screws through the side.

Since the ceiling cross members won't ever hold anything besides 2lb light fixtures I am not worried about load.
I will use a more substantial framing method across the back of the container where the power wall will be.

Overall, I'm happy with this method.
Pics?

Well, let's consider that the 4 corner vents on every conex managed to keep the container pretty well vented going across a salty ocean several times in the heat or cold. My container first saw use in 2004 as far as I can tell, and has no rust on the interior, so it seems they don't work too badly. Also consider much of what you've ever bought "did time" in one of these containers, so the as-built ventilation isn't too bad.

I am worried about fuel vapors in the summer time since there will be an aggregate 15 gallons of gasoline and 10 gallons of diesel in the tanks of the equipment stored within. I live in an area where temperature range from -14C to 46C (at the extremes, not for prolonged periods). Though the container is somewhat shaded, this still concerns me. Even at 10C I smell fuel when I open the container.

I will initially be adding some passive vents to the lower walls to hopefully let most of the heavier-than-air fumes to escape. If the smell still concerns me, I'll consider a small, continuous duty, sealed exhaust fan or two. Creating even a slight negative pressure environment in the container will also help with humidity, or at least prevent any condensation.

Adding fans will probably require an increase in my battery capacity though.
those vents are generally regarded as pressure equalization vents.

Storing gasoline in a conex is a terrible idea. Full stop.

those vents are generally regarded as pressure equalization vents.

Storing gasoline in a conex is a terrible idea. Full stop.
I get it, and will add more vents, but on the other hand, I've been storing tractors and OPE full of fuel in a barely ventilated "Amish" shed for the last 30 years...

Back