diy solar

diy solar

Franklin MonoDrive VFD

Ponderosa

Can anyone provide advice on an inverter that will work with the Franklin MonoDrive variable frequency drive submersible pump controller? Franklin says some inverters will work and some not so much but won't advise as which one. Need one with the truest, true sine wave. Maximum amps drawn would be 11 amps at 240v. If someone is running a Franklin MonoDrive Connect series with solar successfully, please advise.

I don't have any experience with that model, but I'd it's a typical vfd any sinewave inverter that's continuous output is bigger than its requirements should work fine. What other things are you plasmon to ruin with this inverter? (This will help decide if you need a single phase 240v our a split phase 120/240)

11 amps at 240? So 11 amps x 240 V = 2640 watts

Does that include the startup power (aka inrush)? For example inrush on my AC is 86.4 amps; but the runtime current is only 8.6 amps. So, to cover the 86.4 amps for the sub-second needed I'd need an inverter that could handle it. Or, there are soft-starters: see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/soft-starters-for-air-conditioners.10768/

Have you looked into 48V DC submersible pumps?

I don't have any experience with that model, but I'd it's a typical vfd any sinewave inverter that's continuous output is bigger than its requirements should work fine. What other things are you plasmon to ruin with this inverter? (This will help decide if you need a single phase 240v our a split phase 120/240)
The inverter would be dedicated to this particular device so a straight 240v would work fine. I'll be connecting another invertor 120/240 for all other applications.
Thanks for your input.

11 amps at 240? So 11 amps x 240 V = 2640 watts

Does that include the startup power (aka inrush)? For example inrush on my AC is 86.4 amps; but the runtime current is only 8.6 amps. So, to cover the 86.4 amps for the sub-second needed I'd need an inverter that could handle it. Or, there are soft-starters: see https://diysolarforum.com/threads/soft-starters-for-air-conditioners.10768/

Have you looked into 48V DC submersible pumps?
What I'm dealing with is a low producing well. The typical pressure switches are either on or off and when on, the pump runs full speed until it hits the cutoff. My situation would have the pump cutting on and off repeatedly over an hour much more over a 10 hr period which would not be good on the pump. If the well pumps down, the pump continues to run with no output and that's not good. With the Monodrive constant pressure controller the output is regulated with a pressure sensor and ramps the pump up and down based on water output. This allows me to pump the water into the holding tank at 30 psi regulated at .75 gal per minute. This keeps the well from pumping down and will run as long as the holding tank is calling for water via a float switch. It's run as much as 24 hrs with no issues with pumping the well out of water. As far as the 48vdc submersible, I have looked briefly but not researched them in detail. Maybe I should.
Thanks for the info you've provided.

ok getting closer just a little more info and i'll advise the best route. what's your well depth, static water level in well and where is your pump in the well(what depth)

Not really, just been offgrid for 20 years. I have 2 offgrid residences and a couple dozen offgrid neighbors who I've helped with their systems. Closest I come to pumps professionally is boiler feed pumps. for work I'm into power generation (gas steam hydro and wind), highspeed conveyor, and automation systems. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwright

I'm also the type of guy that if I don't know about something I'l start researching until I have a basic understanding of all the ins and outs of a system and then fix it myself rather than hiring someone. (and when I bought my first offgrid house the previous owner had made just about every mistake you could with the well system-by the time I had everything functioning the way it should I was pretty much an expert)

Last edited:
Ah. Good to know . I'm getting ready to punch to 1050. Trying to decide if I want to beta test one of the Chinese solar well controls and pumps.
The price comparison between Franklin and the Chinese is scary stupid.
You have any thoughts ?
Greg

Yes, I think you are saved only by Allen Bradley parts or just by Eaton Cutler-Hammer. You can find them here https://www.automation-usa.com/allen-bradley/; this is a website with all the details for your projects. They offer meager prices and many excellent and exact schemes, so you won't have any issues when you calculate the measurements for your needs and so much more actually. They offer speedy delivery, excellent service, and basically all the parts you can imagine. This is what I think, I don't know. Maybe they have a different source, but this is a personal one.

Back