diy solar

diy solar

Free NEC Access!

HighTechLab

AKA Dexter - CTO of Current Connected, LLC
I was amazed this morning to find that this wasn't already in the codes and regulations section!

NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) is responsible for maintaining the NEC (National Electric Code - NFPA 70) that we in the US should follow on our electrical installations (this includes RV's).

Physical versions of the code book are great to reference if you are doing this work full time, however at a price tag of $180 ~ $240 a piece, it makes it out of reach for a beginner.

The good news is that NFPA offers a free online version! I think they make you create an NFPA account, but you can access current and prior versions of the NEC. I think this is great because when it's free, there is no one to blame but oneself for not taking a bit to educate themselves on the code.

Here is the link to the NEC, just click the big "Free Access" button: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...ds/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

Just remember, as the NEC says in it's first article..."This code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

Last edited by a moderator:
PDF drive is a great resource as well. Here's a link to the 2017 code as a PDF file, and they also have books on just about everything, most can be downloaded in an e-book format as well, if not, PDF's can be converted easily.

I have a few hundred "survival" type books saved in case of an emergency. They have medical and first aid textbooks, livestock and veterinary manuals, electrical and technical manuals, and pretty much anything else you can think of, sans newer stuff that's still being printed and published for money. Great resource for people off grid with spotty or no internet access.

That NTT manual with diagrams is pretty useful, but its missing stuff like the battery (section 480). Any idea where to get the rest?

I've been using the free NFPA electric codes, works well enough for my occasional use.

Jberger is 100% correct, I've gotten 2 or 3 of those fake invoices.

Oh, and a the sections are present, including 480

I was amazed this morning to find that this wasn't already in the codes and regulations section!

NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) is responsible for maintaining the NEC (National Electric Code - NFPA 70) that we in the US should follow on our electrical installations (this includes RV's).

Physical versions of the code book are great to reference if you are doing this work full time, however at a price tag of $180 ~ $240 a piece, it makes it out of reach for a beginner.

The good news is that NFPA offers a free online version! I think they make you create an NFPA account, but you can access current and prior versions of the NEC. I think this is great because when it's free, there is no one to blame but oneself for not taking a bit to educate themselves on the code.

Here is the link to the NEC, just click the big "Free Access" button: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...ds/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

Just remember, as the NEC says in it's first article..."This code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

FYI, I've been using this for quite some time now (accessing free NEC on nfpa.org), but recently something broke on me when using Chrome for this site, where the pages started just showing up blank with no content. I use a Mac and so tried it using Safari browser and it works fine in there, but not Chrome anymore.

I don't know if it's related to ad-blocker or my dark theme plugin in Chrome, but something broke it after some update. I tried disabling all my plugins when on that site but still wouldn't work.

Safari is working though, so in case anyone has same issue and wonders why the document content doesn't show, try other browser...

Yes, NFPA is great to get the whole guide for free, but only the NTT version has tons of pictures to show what they actually mean. Get it if you dont already have it. Its 2017, which is what my county uses anways.

Clear your cache. Also takes at least 30 seconds on mine to load which is weird, but one more reason I preferr NTT pdf.

Back