diy solar

diy solar

Free solar panels, best way to connect to Bluetti AC200 MAX

TotalSolarNewb

Hello,

I currently have the Bluetti AC200 MAX with 2 expansion batteries and I'm looking at using it in conjunction with some solar panels I got for free.
Info on the panels is as follows;
SHARP ND-L3E1U
Max watt : 123.0 watts
open circuit voltage: 21.3V
short circuit current: 8.12A
max power voltage: 17.2V
max power current: 7.16V
Max system voltage: 600V
series fuse: 15A

I have 8 of these panels and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about using them with the Bluetti to maximize efficiency.
Currently all of the cable ends on the panels have been cut.
So I'm wondering how I would go about fixing the cables, what sort of ends I would need, and should I connect them in series or parallel or a combination of both?
Also, as a side note, anyone have any suggestions on how to make a simple stand for them? I'm using the system at a cabin and need to have easy access to the panels for snow removal, roof mount is not an option.
Thanks for your help!

For other peoples reference in case they aren't familiar with these things:

• AC200 Max Base Unit
    • 900W Max., VOC 10-145VDC, 15A
  • B230 Expansion Battery
    • 500W Max., VOC 12-60VDC, 10A (Via BLUETTI D050S)
  • B230 Expansion Battery
While the batteries can be charged with solar panels directly, I don't think they will distribute their charge or power to the base unit, so probably best to just attach panels to the base unit unless there are more panels or circumstances require it.

You didn't tell us where your cabin is, but we will assume it gets cold there.

The 145VDC of the base unit prevents you from just putting all the panels in one string and calling it a day.

The amp limit of 15A prevents you from doing any parallel panels, unless you don't mind it only pulling up to a maximum of 15A from your combined strings. I would probably just do a 4s2p string and call it a day, you would lose a bit of current (unless the bluetti can really do more than 15A, it might).. but you wouldn't need to fuse your panels and you would have less wiring overall to deal with.

Depending on how cold it gets there, you could do a 6s string to the base unit and a 1s to each of the batteries, but that seems silly.

You would most likely just put MC4 connectors on the panels, get a parallel MC4 cable, run an MC4 cable to your bluetti location and then connect to the bluetti using the supplied adapter cable.

As to stands, that really depends on what your ground is like there, animals, etc..

EDIT.. those panel specs are really close on the amperage, you would probably be fine with 4s2p.

Last edited:
Hello,

I currently have the Bluetti AC200 MAX with 2 expansion batteries and I'm looking at using it in conjunction with some solar panels I got for free.
Info on the panels is as follows;
SHARP ND-L3E1U
Max watt : 123.0 watts
open circuit voltage: 21.3V
short circuit current: 8.12A
max power voltage: 17.2V
max power current: 7.16V
Max system voltage: 600V
series fuse: 15A

I have 8 of these panels and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about using them with the Bluetti to maximize efficiency.
Currently all of the cable ends on the panels have been cut.
So I'm wondering how I would go about fixing the cables, what sort of ends I would need, and should I connect them in series or parallel or a combination of both?
Also, as a side note, anyone have any suggestions on how to make a simple stand for them? I'm using the system at a cabin and need to have easy access to the panels for snow removal, roof mount is not an option.
Thanks for your help!
Please verify for yourself the specs on the bluetti but from what I’m reading it is capable of taking up to 145 volts in for the solar panels. That means that the best thing you can probably do is put four panels in series and then place those two series strings together in parallel. The best thing to use is probably MC4 connectors since they are the standard and then whatever connector is required to connect to the Bluetti.

For other peoples reference in case they aren't familiar with these things:

• AC200 Max Base Unit
    • 900W Max., VOC 10-145VDC, 15A
  • B230 Expansion Battery
  • B230 Expansion Battery
While the batteries can be charged with solar panels directly, I don't think they will distribute their charge or power to the base unit, so probably best to just attach panels to the base unit unless there are more panels or circumstances require it.

You didn't tell us where your cabin is, but we will assume it gets cold there.

The 145VDC of the base unit prevents you from just putting all the panels in one string and calling it a day.

The amp limit of 15A prevents you from doing any parallel panels, unless you don't mind it only pulling up to a maximum of 15A from your combined strings. I would probably just do a 4s2p string and call it a day, you would lose a bit of current (unless the bluetti can really do more than 15A, it might).. but you wouldn't need to fuse your panels and you would have less wiring overall to deal with.

Depending on how cold it gets there, you could do a 6s string to the base unit and a 1s to each of the batteries, but that seems silly.

You would most likely just put MC4 connectors on the panels, get a parallel MC4 cable, run an MC4 cable to your bluetti location and then connect to the bluetti using the supplied adapter cable.

As to stands, that really depends on what your ground is like there, animals, etc..

EDIT.. those panel specs are really close on the amperage, you would probably be fine with 4s2p.
Thanks a lot! This is great info and kind of what I suspected I would need to do. I'll do a 4s2p setup. I would rather the panels provide more power than needed to account for cloudy days and whatnot, just wanna be able to charge the unit up quickly enough so I don't have to burn gas in a generator to keep the lights on ;)
It gets fairly cold where the cabin is, -30 to -40 Celcius.
I will order some MC4 connectors from amazon and get this started.
Thanks so much for the quick replies!

It gets fairly cold where the cabin is, -30 to -40 Celcius.

I think the Bluetti's might have low temp charging protection built in, but keep in mind, they stop charging at 0 Celcius until they get warmed up above that. So you might have to plan to keep them someplace warm during the winter. Their own body heat might keep them warm if being actively used in a small space..

I have a very similar situation as the OP.

10 free panels that I had to put MC connectors on the cut cables. But mine are 200 watt, 33 VoC. The panels seem pretty old so maybe they won’t produce full output.

I am considering buying a Bluetti AC200 Max For simplicity.

What would be the best parallel/series setup?

The AC200 Max solar input limit is 900 Watts then with an optional adapter the input normally used for the AC charger can be used for an additional 500 watts of solar. Should I just over panel and hook up to the 900 Watt input or get the optional adapter and split things up between the 900 Watt and 500 Watt inputs?

The Bluetti d050s dc charging enhancer has a 60v/10amp input limit. You could probably connect two of those panels to it in parallel and get 200-300 watts out of it on a good day.

Depending on the temperature in your area you could do a 4s2p or 3s3p configuration on your panels to the Bluetti AC200Max. We would need to see the full specs on the panels and your coldest temperature on record to say for sure if 4s2p is safe or not, and to what temperature.

Please see photo of specifications attached.

Attachments

• 8346DAD7-07BE-497B-AAA7-E492243D428A.jpeg
    8346DAD7-07BE-497B-AAA7-E492243D428A.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 8
Please see photo of specifications attached.

You didn't specify your outdoor temperature records, but assuming it's cold like the original poster, then you should do 3s3p to AC200max so you don't burn it out with high voltage when the temperature gets cold.

I live in New Jersey, USA so wide range of temperatures but nothing very extreme for most of the year. There are a few days a year that the temps will dip into the teens or rise to the upper 90’s.

So 4s2p with 33.6 VoC panels might actually exceed 150 volts if it gets cold enough? That would be >37.5 Volt per panel. I did not think there would be that much of a VoC increase. I do not want to risk damaging the Bluetti.

I will start out with 3s3p.

Any thought on 3s2p on the main solar input and 4p with a charge enhancer? Will it be worth the extra cost of the enhancer?

It’s worth being careful as the max voltage limit really is the maximum not a rough guide and being an all in one unit replacement components / repairs are much more of an issue.

Any thought on 3s2p on the main solar input and 4p with a charge enhancer? Will it be worth the extra cost of the enhancer?

It has a 10amp charge limit, so a 4p setup would cap out around 300 watts or so with those panels. Up to you whether that's worth it. I also don't think it's an MPPT controller on the charge enhancer, so it's probably not as good at running the panels as a dedicated MPPT would be.

Last edited:
It has a 10amp charge limit, so a 4p setup would cap out around 300 watts or so with those panels. Up to you whether that's worth it. I also don't think it's an MPPT controller on the charge enhancer, so it's probably not as good at running the panels as a dedicated MPPT would be.
Thanks

Back