diy solar

diy solar

Freezer having trouble keeping cold in the heat?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Global warming is making it hot. Been crazy (Africa) hot for days. I have no AC. Freezer was not keeping cold. So I put a wet towel over it. Works amazingly well.

Stay cool

Good tip.

I guess adding extra insulative material to the exterior might help as well as displacing any "air" space on the inside.

Last edited:
This has turned into a possible new ice chest cooler function. As ice melts in a cooler, the water melts the ice faster. As more ice melts into water, it speeds more ice melting in the water. Why its best to drain off the water.

What if there was a way to wick that melting ice water up to the lid where it could evaporate, cooling the cooler even more?

Africa's, a big place - on the other hand ...

SOUTH AFRICA’S FOOD PRICES SOAR DUE TO EXTREME FREEZE

Snow is continuing to fall over the higher elevations of South Africa, including Lesotho where guests at the Afriski Mountain Resort were treated to “incredible snow conditions this weekend,” according to thesouthafrican.com.

Global warming is making it hot. Been crazy (Africa) hot for days. I have no AC. Freezer was not keeping cold. So I put a wet towel over it. Works amazingly well.

Stay cool
Very interesting that a wet towel improved the performance! Awesome tip! thank you :cool:
What if there was a way to wick that melting ice water up to the lid where it could evaporate, cooling the cooler even more?
Wow cool idea! That makes sense to me.. very wise approach if I may say.

Once the ice melts into water, it’s not ensuring coldness as well, in fact it’s melting the rest of the ice as you mention. But it’s still much colder than outside air and can still can do useful cooling work on the way out.

Using a small DC pump to move the water out of the box to somehow cool down the fridge/freezer‘s hot condenser coil could improve overall performance.

One thing to be cautious about is minerals and stuff in the water building up on a surface and causing some problem over long period of time. And living creatures growing in it ?

Using a small DC pump to move the water out of the box to somehow cool down the fridge/freezer‘s hot condenser coil could improve overall performance.
I think there are materials that will "wick" up the water with no power.
One thing to be cautious about is minerals and stuff in the water building up on a surface and causing some problem over long period of time. And living creatures growing in it
Little bleach every once in a while & it should be good.

Just blew a decade of dust off my condenser. Looked like a towel of nasty.
people miss this constantly. the biggest issues I have with the compressor based equipment I work with is failure to clean the condenser. the ships will come back with a 1" thick layer of fuzz and gunk after only 3 or 4months at sea. then the supply officer or the FSO will ask me why are your machines always breaking/not cooling/shutting down when we are underway.... I show the the training records I make their people sign saying that they know they have to visually inspect the condenser filter once a week and clean it once a month regardless of what it looks like...then I show them their units condenser with a 1" thick layer of crap on it and I politely say... and you were saying?

A couple channels up the hing side of the wicking material. Some sort of mat on top that will disperse the water. Probably need a grate to keep everything off the bottom.

This concept is for like camping or beach trips. Not so much as a fridge replacement

A couple channels up the hing side of the wicking material. Some sort of mat on top that will disperse the water. Probably need a grate to keep everything off the bottom.

This concept is for like camping or beach trips. Not so much as a fridge replacement
even just as a "booster" during hot water it has some interesting advantages.

Back