diy solar

diy solar

Freezing temps and new cells?

S Davis

Solar Enthusiast
Are there any issues with new cells getting below freezing, these are new and not top balanced or assembled yet. The last set of cells I received were 3.29volts and about 40% charged when delivered.

Are there any issues with new cells getting below freezing, these are new and not top balanced or assembled yet. The last set of cells I received were 3.29volts and about 40% charged when delivered.
Since they are not assembled yet, I assume they are not being charged. Consequently, the question is really "what are the allowable storage temperatures."

The specs for min storage temps for LiFePO4 cells vary from about -20C to -40C. (I have never understood why some can be stored colder than others... but each cell has slightly different chemistries so I can believe there are differences)

No. They typically allow discharge operations as low as -20°C.

Lower temperatures also offset the degradation associated with storage at high SoC, i.e., a battery at 100% SoC at freezing will sustain LESS degradation that a 100% SoC battery at 80°F

They typically allow discharge operations as low as -20°C.
I have seen cell specs that say storage down to -10C but discharge down to -20C..... I have never figured out how that could be, but that is what some of the specs say. (If anyone could explain this I would be grateful)

I have seen cell specs that say storage down to -10C but discharge down to -20C..... I have never figured out how that could be, but that is what some of the specs say. (If anyone could explain this I would be grateful)

Discharge warms the cells? I dunno. I would expect the storage temp to be lower than the discharge temp.

The lowest storage temp for LFP batteries is point of electrolyte freezing and is no higher than -30 degs C. It is usually lower than this with other additives often put in electrolyte. The ethylene carbonate solvent is weak link for freezing temp but with the LiPF6 lithum salt added the EC freezing point is brought down to below -30 degs C. Dimethyl Caronate, also often added to solvent, lowers freezing point more.

Most all Li-Ion batteries use EC for solvent in the electrolyte, with lithium hexafluorophosphate salt (LiPF6). Dimethyl Carbonate, DC is second most common additive.

If you expect to encounter sustained temperatures below freezing I recommend adding a system to keep the battery warm.

If you expect to encounter sustained temperatures below freezing I recommend adding a system to keep the battery warm.
I moved them to a heated location until I can start top balancing them.

So this makes me wonder about the unheated UPS trucks. Things arrive very cold here these days.
NippieTemp.JPG

Last edited:
Back