diy solar

diy solar

Fridge won't start at night

Leave the wire size alone and put a Big Ass© capacitor across the inverter terminals.

I've seen capacitors used for smoothing ripple in circuits... is this the same idea but for more like speed bump sized ripple?

I wll look into this. Thanks.

I've seen capacitors used for smoothing ripple in circuits... is this the same idea but for more like speed bump sized ripple?

I wll look into this. Thanks.
Yeah. Just something close to the inverter that can supply the current need during heavy draw. The one in the link is only 3300 uF and rated at 450 volts, which makes it expensive. Go with a higher capacitance and lower voltage. Anything over the battery voltage is fine.

Not output. Input. Across the DC battery input at the inverter. Putting it across the AC output would be... interesting for sure.

Ok. But when I watch the voltage at the inverter inputs when I turn on the fan, I don't see a voltage dip (the meter I use has a min/max hold function). Which leads me to suspect the inverter.

But how does the inverter know the difference between day and night? Something is different at different times of the day and the thing that makes sense is the voltage is higher when the sun is shining.

Didn't read all the past threads but did you mention the inverter make and model number?

hfraser have you tried simulating a failure during the day, i.e.,

Get it running
disconnect the solar
monitor the 24V at the inverter terminals until it shuts down.

Given that it runs for 30 minutes pretty much excludes surge being an issue.

I don't believe we ever established that this isn't an inverter problem, but we were able to identify potential issues with the batteries, so those were dealt with first.

I had planned to do the daytime test, but unfortunately this visit has been overcast and rain, so my 1000watt panel array is only putting out about 120 watts for a few hours per day... tough to get a full charge when most of that is needed just to keep a cooler running. Hopefully tomorrow is sunny and I will try cutting the panels while the fridge is running. I've not been at the camp since my last posts to try that.

I'll order the capacitor and deal with wiring when I get my hands on it.

It's the WZRELB 1500 Watt Pure Sinewave. The label actually says Reliable Electric.

Back