diy solar

diy solar

Fried Giandel Inverter

Heydk

A month ago I set up a 1500w 24v system using a Moes ATS and a Giandel 3000w inverter. It ran successfully for two days then the inverter went OL crazy. Giandel sent me a new one it’s been running 24/7 for a month. Giandel told me to keep the bad one. So I have this shiny new inverter that doesn't work. Does anyone know a way to determine exactly what is wrong with it? I've taken the cover off and there are no blown fuses or anything that looks burned. The symptoms are - it powers up, displays the battery voltage, goes into OL and beeps for ten seconds then repeats over and over. This is with or without any load.

Without hands on there's really not a lot someone can tell you apart from checking for burnt / damaged components.

Keep in mind that these things develop high voltage DC (200-400V) when running. If the HVDC supply (there are usually several in parallel so just one of them starting is sufficient) starts and the inverter side doesn't run that high voltage could be present for some time after the inverter is turned off. My advice is that poking around in this stuff is not for the beginner, and if you are asking this sort of question here, that probably includes you.

Do you by chance have an IR camera and can post snapshots? A lot of times hot/cold spots can tell you a lot. 0L typically means overload, that could be a lot of things... linking @Craig as this might be something he's interested in.

Try differential analysis between the working and bjorked units.

Last edited:
IR camera sounds like a good idea. I don't have one but may be able to obtain one.

I did not smell anything when the event happened or a day or two later when I opened the case. I've only gotten to one side of the board. I haven't pulled the whole thing apart yet.

I also bought the PS-3000KAR. Wired up with 2 BattleBorn batteries in series, Epever tracer 40watt mppt. Powered it up with a resistor and it ran for a week. Same issue: OL warning and beep is all I get now. Glad to hear they honored the warranty.

Yeah - it doesn't give me much confidence that the Giandel inverter will last. Next time I will spend the $$ and get something more reliable like a Magnum. I'm running the Giandel inverter 24/7 powering a portion of my house. I will post here if and when it dies.

Yeah - it doesn't give me much confidence that the Giandel inverter will last. Next time I will spend the $$ and get something more reliable like a Magnum. I'm running the Giandel inverter 24/7 powering a portion of my house. I will post here if and when it dies.
Are you connected to a panel with a bonded neutral or do you have a separate panel for your inverter loads?

I would appreciate only constructive replies not just information that a "beginner" would already know.
It is that roundish partly blackened device soldered on the board. Just to the right of the other thing that look much like it. But doesn't have brown marks. If you hold the board backwards it is to the left.

A month ago I set up a 1500w 24v system using a Moes ATS and a Giandel 3000w inverter. It ran successfully for two days then the inverter went OL crazy. Giandel sent me a new one it’s been running 24/7 for a month. Giandel told me to keep the bad one. So I have this shiny new inverter that doesn't work. Does anyone know a way to determine exactly what is wrong with it? I've taken the cover off and there are no blown fuses or anything that looks burned. The symptoms are - it powers up, displays the battery voltage, goes into OL and beeps for ten seconds then repeats over and over. This is with or without any load.
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it

I have a Giandel KAR 2200W inverter with the low voltage specs of 9.5 volts,
this will this hurt my 230Ah LiTime battery, which has a 11.0 low volt setting
I have tried asking Giandel about this but no answer.
I think I can use a Delay Timer Switch, AC/DC 12V~ (Power Off Delay)triggered by a Over-Voltage and Under-Voltage Protection Relay, so that when the battery goes to 11v, this relay will send a signal to the Delay Timer Switch, AC/DC 12V~( Power Off Delay), which will mimic a momentary long 'Off Press' motion (Power Off Delay)
Thus turning the Giandel inverter - OFF
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• High-Low Volt Relay.jpg
    High-Low Volt Relay.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Timer Delay-Off.jpg
    Timer Delay-Off.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
Back