diy solar

diy solar

Fried victron ac charger no idea why

Adjake

About a month ago I was about to leave on a camping trip only to find out that my battery was flat even though I had it plugged into ac charger overnight.

system is victron mppt victron shunt victron ac 17amp charger (only used when I have a lack of sun) victron 800 w inverter (hardly use) renogy 100 ah battery victron battery protect blue sea 12v distribution.

upon investigation the inline fuse on the charger melted into a plastic goo

I replaced the fuse holder and fuse and the charger worked (a little surprised).

Now a few weeks later the charger seems to be dead. It will power up and it acts like it’s charging according to the lights but the app will say it’s in absorption instead of bulk with the battery now down at 11 volts. I’ll check for output in the am but I’m sure it’s dead

Anyone have any idea what could have caused the fuse to melt and not just pop?
‘I did find a few days later that the grounding pin on my noco outlet had broken off. This is the only thing I could imagine that could have caused this

any and all ideas welcome, I’d like to avoid this from happening again

Doh….I feel like an idiot now. I deal with this all day long fixing golf carts. No idea why it didn’t cross my mind. I’ll check it and post results tomorrow.

thanks

If you can kill a Victron device, you're in a league of your own. It can happen, but it's rare. Like @time2roll said, melting a fuse holder often means a poor connection. It could also be a cheap quality fuse holder too. We've seen a few melted fuse holders that are "audio" quality. Get a real fuse holder if that's the case.

If you can kill a Victron device, you're in a league of your own. It can happen, but it's rare. Like @time2roll said, melting a fuse holder often means a poor connection. It could also be a cheap quality fuse holder too. We've seen a few melted fuse holders that are "audio" quality. Get a real fuse holder if that's the case.
Sorry to say but we've sent a batch of Victron 24v wheelchair chargers back to the supplier. Almost all had a tiny screw loose inside.

i Was just using the fuse holder it came with. Connections are all tight.

Back