diy solar

diy solar

From Growatt to Victron Energy

Strictly speaking, I don’t believe that is the code. Any equipment you connect to AC power in your home is supposed to be UL listed.

Certainly here in the People’s Republic of California, no solar power system, off grid or not, would be permitted with non-Listed equipment.

I suspect you got lucky with a lenient inspector / building department and suggest you have a look at the fine print of your fire insurance policy…
I am not going to agree nor disagree with you. I spent many months going over this topic, among others. As for a definitive answer/interpretation, see this link for the UL Code Authorities:

My local code enforcement have never had to deal with this before me. This is a small city in southwest PA (population 11K). No one in the city limits has an off-grid solar system. I was told that there were only 4 solar installations with net metering in the entire city. The surrounding townships/parishes have their own code enforcement and their own inspectors. I checked with my insurance company and they told me that if it passes safety inspections and up to code per the local authorities, I am OK.

I never intended this thread to become a firing line for my installation. It is legal and up to code. If anyone interprets the codes differently, that is your prerogative.

That is not stated so easily. There are lots of little tweaks to get it set up to perform like mine. First off, in the VE Config tool. the GRID selection must be "Other". Then go through the tabs, turn off "Power Assist", the "Virtual Switch cannot be selected, and then load the ESS Assistant.

In the ESS Assistant, select your type of batteries, next enter the capacity of your entire battery bank in Ah, Sustain Voltage is set to 50V, set the Cut-Off ot 50V at the top, leave the rest, skip the next step and select "no on the next step after that. Save and upload your settings.

The rest is set in the in the "Console" of the VRM Portal, and then Victron Connect App with the MK3 adapter. Grid Feedback needs to be turned off on both settings in the Console and "Self Consumption" needs to be selected as well. Just go through all of the possible settings to get it set to how you want yours to work. I have limits set on charge wattage and AC power. It is complicated, but it works. Just make sure you go through ALL settings and download every bit of documentation on "Self Consumption" and "ESS"

See the Pic below for the grid usage. It does show 0.01W for both Grid draw and feedback, Those will always show 0.01W.
Wow, thanks! I didn't think ESS mode was possible with non-victron batteries. I often need power assist though which would be a config change every time I move back and forth from that but ... nice, I like this. Thank you!

Wow, thanks! I didn't think ESS mode was possible with non-victron batteries. I often need power assist though which would be a config change every time I move back and forth from that but ... nice, I like this. Thank you!
One more thing, please make sure that your firmware is the latest version. The newest firmware adds more functionality. Glad to be of help. This is what I think this forum is for.

Looking for some help with finding 48V bolt down MEGA fuses for my VE Lynx. I have seen several topics on this here, but I couldn't find an answer. My closest finding was Littlefuse 70V series. Would these work as well? I need a 48V 45A, 48V 50A and a 48V 100A. Anyone know where to get these?

Looking for some help with finding 48V bolt down MEGA fuses for my VE Lynx. I have seen several topics on this here, but I couldn't find an answer. My closest finding was Littlefuse 70V series. Would these work as well? I need a 48V 45A, 48V 50A and a 48V 100A. Anyone know where to get these?

The voltage rating on a fuse is the maximum voltage it can be used at. As long as you're at the amp rating you want and pushing a lower voltage than the max rating, you're good to go.

Just a heads up. the mystery of getting 48V MEGA fuses for the Victron Energy Lynx system is strictly limited to the 125A and up. If you need anything lower, you are out of luck. The ONLY manufacturer I could find that make compatible fuses is Littlefuse. They are only available in the 70-SF51 series. These fuses cannot be gotten anywhere. I contacted every major fuse sales firm I could find with no luck. If you do find them, they are not on stock, minimum order of 500 pieces and a minimum waiting period of 15 weeks.

There are no alternative manufacturers, even VE does not sell 48V fuse amperage's below 125A. My Lynx is worthless to me. I now have to build my own bus bar system with breakers. A waste of valuable space. If anybody has an alternative idea, I would love to have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

ANL Fuse 100 amp Amazon

ANL Fuse 50 amp Amazon

What about ANL fuses? They meet your voltage specs. A 100 amp and 50 amp is listed, and for the 45 and 50, I think using 50's would be ok.

I am in no way an expert, but to my knowledge, ANL fuses are for short circuit protection, and not load protection. ANL fuses will allow for 110%-150% additional load before blowing. To me, that means for example, a 100A ANL fuse will blow at over 160A. My wiring is not protected with this type of fuse. Here is a link to some of the information I reference while looking for fuses. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Here is an update on my Quattro installation.

I am using the "ESS Assistant" only with LiFePO4 batteries with other BMS selected.

In the Console, I have the SOC set to 30%, and it works. When the batteries reach 30%, the grid power kicks in and powers the loads. Solar power is then used to charge the batteries, and that is exactly how I want it to work. To test it, I set it to a SOC of 80%, and it kicked in at 80%. I reset it to 30%, and I am now comfortable and confident that my loads will always be provided with the power needed.

I still do not have my VE Lynx installed, and will probably not use it as there are literally no 48V fuses available for purchase with the amp ratings that I need. So I am making my own bus bar system with breakers to do the same.

I ordered six more solar panels arriving tomorrow, which will give me a total of 12 panels making approx 4000W. I need to upgrade my combiner box, and already have it ordered. I will update with photos as I move along.

Hah, I came to this thread after seeing 48v and Lynx distributor. And you've found the same issue with the fuses for the Lynx distributor. See further discussion, ideas, and links here:

Hah, I came to this thread after seeing 48v and Lynx distributor. And you've found the same issue with the fuses for the Lynx distributor. See further discussion, ideas, and links here:

Thanks!

Nice looking system! I'm curious what you did with the Growatt? Did you investigate the issues with it? Was the company responsive? Did they make any attempt to fix the problem? Were you able to return it?

Nice looking system! I'm curious what you did with the Growatt? Did you investigate the issues with it? Was the company responsive? Did they make any attempt to fix the problem? Were you able to return it?
The Growatt was returned for a full refund. The dealer was great in providing me a lot of support and help. I had a lot of active help from members of this forum. As a matter fo fact, there were several members on this forum that had the same problem, yet no resolution to the issue was found. I even reached out to Growatt, but support was always a day behind when they did answer. It was unfortunate, as I love the design and functionality of the Growatt. They are priced great as well.

Nice looking ground mount. Would you provide some details?
It is very simple as the base mount has only three parts:

Two 6x6 treated wood posts, each cut in half making 4, four foot posts.
Three 2-3/8" x 8' Galvanized WT-40 Chain-Link Fence Terminal Posts
Six 2-3/8" Galvanized Pipe Grip Tie

Dig 24" holes, and set posts with quickcrete at a separation of 8 feet from center of each post. Once set, use a laser or chalkline to mark the height you wish cut sut your posts at. I cut mine at 18". Next, place the Pipe Grip ties over the ends of each pipe and secure to the post tops with gavanized wood screws. Done!

The panels mount are two each galvanized 12 gauge strut channels with 3/8 x 1" bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts. The strut channels are secured to the pipe with 5/16 u-bolts. This will allow you to change the angle of the panels as needed. The adjustable legs are Adjustable Single Channel Brace's for strut channels., and 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" square tubing. See pictures.

I just rebuilt this yesterday with my wife. We went from two panels to three per row as we just took delivery on 6 more panels. This set up will allow us to install twelve panels on a spot measuring 26' x 10'. Our original six panels were reconfigured from two stack to a three stack in about 6 hours. We are going to do the new panels in the coming days. Today is out due to rain. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpg
    IMG_4811.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4817.jpg
    IMG_4817.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4816.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4815.jpg
    IMG_4815.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4814.jpg
    IMG_4814.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4813.jpg
    IMG_4813.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4812.jpg
    IMG_4812.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 83
I finally have the load transfer switch for my furnace installed. The switch is really nice. It has an automated and manual button to allow for switching from grid to battery in the event the grid goes down, or manually switching to the solar batteries. If the "Automatic" button is active, the switch will also kick back to grid once the power is on again. It was around $40, but included the switch only. The housing was extra. I am surprised that my gas furnace electronics and blower only needs around 800 watts when running. The VE Quattro has no problems with it.

I have ordered two of the Jakiper batteries that Will showed on YouTube. I ordered them when they were on stock. Latest info from Jakiper is, they are still being help up at port and will not be shipping anytime soon. Jakiper posted that they were on stock when they were actually only in port.

Attachments

• IMG_4898.jpg
    IMG_4898.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 20
Back