diy solar

diy solar

From Growatt to Victron Energy

I finally have the load transfer switch for my furnace installed. The switch is really nice. It has an automated and manual button to allow for switching from grid to battery in the event the grid goes down, or manually switching to the solar batteries. If the "Automatic" button is active, the switch will also kick back to grid once the power is on again. It was around $40, but included the switch only. The housing was extra. I am surprised that my gas furnace electronics and blower only needs around 800 watts when running. The VE Quattro has no problems with it.

I have ordered two of the Jakiper batteries that Will showed on YouTube. I ordered them when they were on stock. Latest info from Jakiper is, they are still being help up at port and will not be shipping anytime soon. Jakiper posted that they were on stock when they were actually only in port.
What power / current is that switch rated for? Do you have a link or a product code?

The switch is rated at 63A. I found it on Amazon:

Nice.

So you’d need two of those switches if you wanted to automatically disconnect from 240VAC service and connect to 120VAC emergency backup power, right?

This 4-pole version doesn’t cost much more: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B095RPDQ7D/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but while it could be wired to switch off both 120VAC legs of grid power, it doesn’t look like it can handle a total of 240 volts:

‘insulation Voltage: AC110V’

With 2 separate switches switching one hot leg and neutral,, neither switch ever sees more than 120V…

This one is about ~50% more but can switch a 240VAC split-phase grid service to a dual 120VAC emergency service powered by a single 120VAC PSW: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B097K8NLFM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
The price for two would be over $80. If you need 240V, go with a 240V version. It looks as though it is from the same manufacturer.

I have been watching your trials I have the same growatt,( working fine for my RV ) and am also looking at a Victron ESS setup. Can you elaborate on what ports you are using for what purpose ie ac out 1 is your PV array or ac in 1 ? does AC input 1 get prioritized over input 2 is that how you consume all PV first ? ( where is the grid attached ?

I have a Quattro 48/5000/70. It has two AC inputs and two AC outputs. I only use one of each. AC input 1 is used for the grid connection. I have mine connected to my mains box (200A service) with a single pole 50A breaker and 50A 6/2 wire. I have the AC output wired to a subpanel with the same 50A 6/2 wire. There is a 50A breaker between the inverter and subpanel. The subpanel has six 20A breakers for powering specific items. I could use the second AC output to power a second subpanel if needed. I just need to keep the complete draw to less than the 5000W capacity. I am not even close to it yet.

The two AC inputs are for example, AC1= grid power, AC2= Generator. I do not have a generator. I have my system configured to use the solar power to charge my batteries, and supply power to the loads. Grid is only used if my batteries reach the low set point of 30% or less. At that point, the grid power takes over and supplies power to my loads only. When solar power is available (daytime), it charges the batteries. When the batteries reach my set point of 1.2% over the low set limit of 30%, the grid shuts down and solar powers the load and charges the batteries. My system has only used the grid three times so far, and only for a short time. It was always around 4AM after two days of total overcast skies, and the solar just could not produce enough power. Once the sun hits the panels, shortly afterwards, the solar would take over again. I love it and it works great. I laugh at power outages now. We are warm, our food stays cold/froze, we have some light, can make coffee and cook.

If I were to have a generator on AC input 2, The generator would power the loads if the grid was down and the batteries hit the low setpoint. I hope I explained that in a way that was understandable. If you are used to the Growatt, this is a little more complicated at first. Once you know how Victron inverters are configured, it is really easy. I will admit that the Growatt is a great little package and very easy to install and use. My Growatt installation had problems with two fridge/freezers running at the same time. My Quattro doesn't.

I have my system configured to use the solar power to charge my batteries, and supply power to the loads.
Is your array connected to the Quatro directly (as DC)? Do you have or know if you can use micro inverters (as AC) to connect your array to AC2?

I would expect that for AC2 to support micro inverters, it would need to show "grid power" to the micro inverters. Is this normally accomplished with specific programmed assistant in the Quatro?

Is your array connected to the Quatro directly (as DC)? Do you have or know if you can use micro inverters (as AC) to connect your array to AC2?

I would expect that for AC2 to support micro inverters, it would need to show "grid power" to the micro inverters. Is this normally accomplished with specific programmed assistant in the Quatro?
My array is connected to a Victron Energy 150/70 Blue Solar charge controller. The Quattro controls the Solar charge controller. The charge controller is connected to a bus bar I have for power distribution. On that bus bar I have the Quattro, the Solar charge controller and another bus bar connected. The other bus bar serves as my power in. I have two batteries, soon four batteries connected to It. I have a Victron Energy Smart Shunt connected to the battery negative bus bar, going to the negative power distribution bus bar. The positive bus bar has a power disconnect switch (200A) between the power in and distribution bus bar.

I have never used a micro inverter and have no experience with them. I would be the wrong person to ask for advice on them. Maybe someone else could chime in and help?

My array is connected to a Victron Energy 150/70 Blue Solar charge controller. The Quattro controls the Solar charge controller.
Thanks for the info so far. Maybe this is a naive question. I have a couple Victron SCCs, including a 150/70.

I program my SCCs to charge my battery based on battery voltage and it gathers info from the array to perform its MPPT function.

What "additional control" would the SCC need from the Quatro? (asking because i do not know!)

When you configure the Quattro for your system batteries, internal charger and inverter, it then controls the VE SCC to optimize charging, and supplying power to the Quattro for loads. The settings you configure under Victron Connect to your VE SCC are ignored, and all aspects of the SCC are controlled by the Quattro. This only pertains to VE SCC’s.

Hmm so my case would be I have inverters ( fronius ) in the pole barn sending 240V AC up to the house / victron+batteries . and am reading about multiple ways of attaching the solar produced AC -> AC-1 - in ( grid on AC-2 in) or ac-1 out powers loads directly before inverter ?? Not sure . I am after the same setup as you no export grid assist but making a NON-essential loads panel that is only supplied by PV never grid, main panel would have grid assist .... ( I do not have the victron/batteries yet trying to nail down "the plan" )

Hmm so my case would be I have inverters ( fronius ) in the pole barn sending 240V AC up to the house / victron+batteries . and am reading about multiple ways of attaching the solar produced AC -> AC-1 - in ( grid on AC-2 in) or ac-1 out powers loads directly before inverter ?? Not sure . I am after the same setup as you no export grid assist but making a NON-essential loads panel that is only supplied by PV never grid, main panel would have grid assist .... ( I do not have the victron/batteries yet trying to nail down "the plan" )
The Quattro can do off grid only as well. But it sound like you want to step down 240V to 120V.

I want to have the grid provide any "extra" power needed at night use all the solar for essential (main panel ) AND non-essential during day ( separate 100 AMP panel ) but when solar is low or none cut off the non-essential loads and only have grid support the essential (main) panel I have a Victron autotransformer 100amp to go from 240V to split phase 120-120 direct from the string inverters or whereever it is most functional with a multipath or quatro in the mix ( Maybe back in the barn for 120 access ). My idea was to move AC units and pond pumps huge draws over to non-essential along with a 30 amp water tank heater for 1500 gallon water tank I use to heat my home ( wood fired today )

Dig 24" holes, and set posts with quickcrete at a separation of 8 feet from center of each post. Once set, use a laser or chalkline to mark the height you wish cut sut your posts at. I cut mine at 18". Next, place the Pipe Grip ties over the ends of each pipe and secure to the post tops with gavanized wood screws. Done!
Sweet setup, thanks for trying out my new design and for sharing the info with us. I wish ida thunka that. ;)

We get lots of wind so I will dig a little deeper and use a larger lag bolt instead of a wood screw.

Sweet setup, thanks for trying out my new design and for sharing the info with us. I wish ida thunka that. ;)

We get lots of wind so I will dig a little deeper and use a larger lag bolt instead of a wood screw.
If you have high winds, the adjustable legs in the back just sit on the ground. We had some high winds here as well and they lifted up about three inches and came back down several times. I quickly tied them down with ratchet straps and stakes. After the winds died down, I bought some steel rebar and pounded them in at an angle at each leg 36 inches deep. I then used Super Strut u-bolt clamps and secured each leg to the rebar stakes. They are very secure now. No lifting anymore, even with higher winds than the last storm of 65mph gusts. Cheap too.

If you have high winds, the adjustable legs in the back just sit on the ground. We had some high winds here as well and they lifted up about three inches and came back down several times. I quickly tied them down with ratchet straps and stakes. After the winds died down, I bought some steel rebar and pounded them in at an angle at each leg 36 inches deep. I then used Super Strut u-bolt clamps and secured each leg to the rebar stakes. They are very secure now. No lifting anymore, even with higher winds than the last storm of 65mph gusts. Cheap too.
In the past 72 hours we have had gusts over 45 mph. High winds are typical here.
Every post will be anchored in concrete, probably 36+ inches deep.
The top of my array will not reach 48" above ground level.
?️

Read through all the posts but didn’t see anything mentioned. How are the EG4/GYLL batteries working? You have them connected to the cerbo gx? Using dvcc? Thanks!

Read through all the posts but didn’t see anything mentioned. How are the EG4/GYLL batteries working? You have them connected to the cerbo gx? Using dvcc? Thanks!
Hi, the batteries are the EG4 LifePower4. They have performed great. I am not using dvcc as it is not necessary for these batteries.

Update since the initial posting:

New copper bus bars with 5 posts (replaced the old 4 post brass ones) This makes room for two more batteries.

Installed VE SmartShunt

I am super impressed with the system. I can easily change modes for my needs. In a matter of a few seconds I switched from “optimizied for battery life” to “keep batteries charged” hours before the big snow storm. This used grid power go charge the batteries and wait for a possible grid outage. Switched back in the morning. All of this done through the Cerbo GX.

The Quattro is a very reliable and powerful system, I am glad to have it. I may purchase an MPP all in one as additional power for everything in my basement. A second Quattro is out of my budget.

Hi, the batteries are the EG4 LifePower4. They have performed great. I am not using dvcc as it is not necessary for these batteries.

Update since the initial posting:

New copper bus bars with 5 posts (replaced the old 4 post brass ones) This makes room for two more batteries.

Installed VE SmartShunt

I am super impressed with the system. I can easily change modes for my needs. In a matter of a few seconds I switched from “optimizied for battery life” to “keep batteries charged” hours before the big snow storm. This used grid power go charge the batteries and wait for a possible grid outage. Switched back in the morning. All of this done through the Cerbo GX.

The Quattro is a very reliable and powerful system, I am glad to have it. I may purchase an MPP all in one as additional power for everything in my basement. A second Quattro is out of my budget.
Thanks. Do you have the batteries connected to the gerbo otherwise then? Using can or rs485?I’ve seen on a few forums, folks asking if these batteries “work/communicate” with the cerbo via the can/rs port. Because it seems they’re made to work with growatt and there is little to no information about them being used with victron products. You are the first post I’ve seen using these batteries and victron, is why I ask. Wasn’t sure what if any communication you’re able to get from the batteries to victron. Thanks for the update, sounds like a nice setup.

Back