diy solar

diy solar

Fronius inverter exchange

elliott1992

Hi I have an old fronius ig tl 3.0 single phase inverter and it's broken doesn't make sense to fix because it's over 10 years old.
Now I am trying to find a inverter to replace it with and I have found the fronius primo 3.0-1
I can see the data sheet and they look pretty much similar in spec just want to be 100% certain before I buy that it will work
Thanks in advance

Elliott

I have attached spec sheets for both.

Only thing which concerns me is the Primo has 2 MPPTs. How is your array configured?

Attachments

• fronius replacement.pdf
    255.4 KB · Views: 5
Only thing which concerns me is the Primo has 2 MPPTs. How is your array configured?
Only need to use one MPPT and it has a higher Voc and current limit than the IG as well as a wider MPPT voltage operating range. Whatever array was working with the IG will work with the Primo. Assuming of course the array is in good condition.

The Primo is a better inverter. Those snapinverter series are really solid units. And because of the extra MPPT and better specs it can handle a second array with a different orientation if the OP wanted to add some PV capacity (AC output obviously capped to 3 kW).

With regards to Fronius brand
I am six months past my ten year warranty on two IG 5100
During the life of these two units, I have seen 7 serial number changes. What does that tell you.
Already at 10 1/2 years I have a 'power stage' error
Code as follows:
516 Status message present for one of the power stage sets
It is not possible to activate all power stage sets

Does anybody here have a technical manual or details showing block diagram, # of power stages, etc.
Only losing maybe 10 or 20% capacity.

I don't think I will ever know the reliability of any newer Fronius since I've had such a bad run for 10 years.

I don't think I will ever know the reliability of any newer Fronius since I've had such a bad run for 10 years.
You could perhaps reference data about their rates of installation and performance, or for example read up on what solar install professionals think of them:

or review sites:

I have heard a lot of good things about the newer Fronius Inverters from various Installers.
Of course that won't matter to someone who bought one of the older models and has had numerous issues but I can say that one of the guys I know stays far away from anything that gives problems and he says Fronius is very reliable.

Back