diy solar

diy solar

Fronius Inverter

Techdog56

Does anyone have any experience with a Fronius Primo15kW inverter? I am installing a 12kW grid tie system and am looking at using this inverter due to the voltage and size. Thanks.

We have a Fronius IG Plus 3.0 that went into service in 2011. No problems so far, one of the cooling fans developed some bearing noise so I replaced it. Otherwise very reliable piece of equipment.
Good News: When I called Fronius Service, phone was answered quickly by an actual real human and the part I needed was in stock. Bad News: Fronius would not sell me the part, said I had to send the inverter in for service. Seriously!!
Fortunately, I was able to find a 3rd party service company for Fronius via an internet search and they had no problem sending me the part.

@Techdog56 Yes, I do have 3 of them installed and so far they are working great. They've only been in service for about a month. I, too, chose them for the high voltage range (1kv) and max power output. For me they were the perfect fit and really the only thing like them out there. I couldn't have installed the system without the help of the community here!

Nous avons un Fronius IG Plus 3.0 qui est entré en service en 2011. Aucun problème jusqu'à présent, l'un des ventilateurs de refroidissement a développé un bruit de roulement, je l'ai donc remplacé. Sinon matériel très fiable.
Bonne nouvelle : lorsque j'ai appelé Fronius Service, un vrai humain a répondu rapidement au téléphone et la pièce dont j'avais besoin était en stock. Mauvaise nouvelle : Fronius n'a pas voulu me vendre la pièce, a dit que je devais envoyer l'onduleur pour réparation. Sérieusement!!
Heureusement, j'ai pu trouver une société de services tierce pour Fronius via une recherche sur Internet et ils n'ont eu aucun problème à m'envoyer la pièce.
hi ! please do you know if there is a voltage sabilizer in this inverters ?

hi ! please do you know if there is a voltage sabilizer in this inverters ?
Not sure what you mean. The Fronius is an MPPT Grid-Tie inverter it takes DC from solar and converts it to AC at the required frequency and voltage for the particular utility that services your area. The inverter is constantly adjusting both the frequency and voltage as necessary to stay synchronized with the incoming utility power. Of course these adjustments are within a fairly narrow range of values as prescribed by the AHJ. If utility power strays outside of these limits the inverter shuts off.

By the way, I currently have a 10kw infinisolar but noticed that the input voltage of the inverter is exactly the same as the output voltage! But our network is so unstable that this input voltage turns off the inverter! That's why I wanted to know if with the fronius, there will be a voltage stabilizer that stabilizes the input voltage so as not to turn off the inverter

By the way, I currently have a 10kw infinisolar but noticed that the input voltage of the inverter is exactly the same as the output voltage! But our network is so unstable that this input voltage turns off the inverter! That's why I wanted to know if with the fronius, there will be a voltage stabilizer that stabilizes the input voltage so as not to turn off the inverter
There is no AC input.

There is only one AC connection, an output. It is a grid tied system and operates in parallel with the grid. It is not like grid assist inverters which pass power through from the grid to the loads - rather it is a power source operating in parallel with the grid supply.

As far as the inverter is concerned the house and the grid are all just loads (effectively an almost infinite load to supply) - it does not distinguish between them, and as such (assuming no export limitation is in place) it will generate the maximum output it can at all times to feed that load.

If there is PV power generation in excess of household loads it will result in exports to the grid. In order to do that the inverter has to raise the AC voltage a little higher than the grid voltage. If grid voltage is too high then the inverter will derate production, perhaps inject more reactive power (if programmed to do so like mine does) and eventually if voltage is too high it will shut down as per grid requirements.

I have an installer friend who says that they are Good Inverters. He uses mostly Sol-Ark and Fronius.
This guy hates anything that gives problems so I would feel confident that they are very good.

Last edited:
Back