diy solar

diy solar

Frustrated with failure to reach Peak Power Production

Usangira

Hi All,

I am in Dar es Salaam, currently full of sun power as it is just below equator (6degrees South)

I have a 5KW solar panels connected to a 100A SCC which is loaded with 400AH 48V LiPo4. The Battery bank is directly hooked to a 3000W inverter

The cable from solar panels to the battery bank is 10mm copper cable running for about 20m.

My frustration is even at 13hrs where power generation is at the peak.... and the battery is still 50% full. The maximum generation I have ever seen is 2300W through the SCC. I expected at this time the SCC should be in full swing 4000W plus

My question is where am I getting it wrong? I expected the battery bank to be full at least before noon. But this is not the case

Solar Panel Specifications are as per below

Model NS-500S6-32
Maximum Power at STC(Pmax) 500W
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp) 48.63V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp) 10.29A
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc) 59.0V
NSort-Circuit Current (Isc) 10.87A
Solar Cell Efficiency (%) 22.23
Solar Module Efficiency (%) 19.51
Operating Temperature -40to85℃
Maximum System Voltage DC1000
Maximum Series Fuse Rating 15A
Power Tolerance ±3% STC:Irradiance 1000W/㎡,
Modules Temperature 25℃,AM=1.5

While the SCC is as per attached image

Thanks, Innocent

Attachments

• SCC.png
    SCC.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 18
How do you have the solar panels configured? I'm assuming something like a 2s5p?

What @DaGoose13 said. What is your panel configuration? Since your Vmp is at 48V, you need two of those in series to get a high enough voltage to charge the battery, and then parallel these sets. Your SCC can handle 150V on the input, but usually will have a MPPT working range up to 130V or thereabout, and your Voc is at 59V, so don't put more than two in series.

You may also want to check your settings. If your charge current is limited to too low a value (say 45 Amps)(2300w SCC output/50v battery voltage=46 Amps), it might explain the low power output of the SCC.

Last edited:
This makes no sense unless there is a bad connection or something is broken. If you have your panels in full sun and their voltage is above that of the battery nominal voltage, your charge controller should pump its max into the battery - in this case close to its limit. Double check everything, make sure your individual strings are fused and no fuse blew, and that all your strings are working correctly, perhaps by connecting them individually to the charge controller to test. In essence, you need to start fault tracing.

Do you have any picture of your setup including panels to see the angle with a shadow. Do you have clamp on amp meter to double check output of your components?

Back