diy solar

diy solar

FS: 2013 Nissan Leaf, 84K miles, 82.6% Pack SOH, Indiana

jlawren6

As the title says, up for sale is my 2013 Nissan Leaf. SV trim level. 84,034 miles. Pack SOH per LeafSpy of 82.6% (measured Feb 27, 2022). Asking $3800 obo. Located in Indiana, 20 minutes East of Indianapolis.

History on the car:

I bought the car from a dealer in Northern Illinois in Nov of 2016. It had just come off a 3-year lease from someone in southern Wisconsin. It had just over 24K miles when I bought it. I used it as my daily driver/work commuter until March of last year when I was hit by a deer (she ran into me...honest) less than a tenth of a mile from my driveway. The damage was all cosmetic. No mechanical systems were hurt (no leaks, vibrations, tire rubs, etc.) and the car can drive fine. Despite that, my insurance totaled it (just squeaked over the limit). The buyback was too good to pass up, so I bought it back and have kept it in my garage since. I have a clear, non-salvage, title for it in-hand.

At the time, I was in the middle of DIY installing a 15 KW grid-tied ground mount system. I bought the car back to either eventually repurpose the pack for home storage or to use as my son’s first car (gets his license in less than 30 days now...Lord help us...). Looking at it today, however, it’s range won’t really meet his needs well and I just don’t have the time or space any longer to hold onto the car for the solar storage project. That plus, at the moment, we have a 1:1 net metering deal with my utility and outages are very rare, so no real pressing need for a home storage system yet.

With the car’s current state, there are really two options:

1) Repair it and make it a daily driver again for probably under $1000 with some judicious eBay and junkyard shopping. At a minimum it would need a driver’s side front fender (approx. $300), front bumper (approx. $300), driver side headlight and turn signal assemblies (approx. $300), and a set of hood hinges (approx $80 a pair). That would still leave it with some “bumps and bruises”, but it would be structurally closed up and sound for driving. Tires are in very good shape and there are no other issues with it other than what the pictures show.​
OR

2.Tear it down, reconfigure the pack for home storage, and part out the rest. With it’s current SOH, reconfiguring into a 42 cell, 7S6P, 48V pack should give you just over 10 kWH of storage capacity at a conservative 60% DOD. You’d also have 6 spare cells.​

It has the CHAdeMO QC port and 360 camera option, and comes as pictured, minus the external invertor adapter shown on the 12V battery. I bought a 2021 Bolt to replace the Leaf and plan to move the adapter to the Bolt.

That’s it. I have more detailed pics if needed. Just ask.

Drive it away or put it on a tow dolly like I did when I bought it in Northern Illinois and hauled it home. It will come with 2 factory key FOB’s.

Thanks and don’t hesitate to ask any questions.

Jon
2013 Leaf SV Sale Collage 1.png

2013 Leaf SV Sale Storage Calc Pic.png

Since its been sitting, have you done anything to care for and/or maintain the batteries? Has it been driven at all?

Just curious, what did the insurance company pay out for totaling the car?

I ask because most 2013 Leafs have low resale values because most of them have nearly dead batteries (4 or 5 bars out of 12). But yours appear to have 11/12 bars. Did your insurance pay out based on your car's value with the battery or did they just do comps with random nearly dead 2013 Leafs?

I have a 2012 Leaf that has a new dealer installed battery that cost $6000. If my insurance wanted to total it for $3000, that would not be the true value of the car, given that whatever they comp it with will likely have nearly dead batteries.

It has not been driven other than between buildings here. I've periodically charged the 12V battery and on a few occasions cycled the traction battery down to about 60% from 80% using an external 1200W invertor to power some loads at home. I keep the traction battery around 60% while stored.

The picture in my original post shows the pack health measured today (2/27) with an 82.68% SOH. I did the same eval using leafspy back in March right after the deer hit (see below). It was 82.69% SOH then, so no real change since being stored. The 82% SOH goes along with what I had before the deer. I had just dropped from 12 bars to the 11 it has now in late 2020/early 2021 (don't remember the specific month).

Jon

March 2021 LeafSpy Measurement
2013 Leaf SV Mar 2021 Leafspy.png

JWLV

I think they just did comps (don't know their basis) and used standard replacment parts cost and body shop rates. They were not real interested in the battery health. Don't think they even looked.

They valued it at just under $5800 if I recall correctly. Not sure how they came up with it that low, because I couldn't find one even close to that when I initially looked for another Leaf as a replacement (really love the car). That and some insane incentatives at the time is what pushed me to the Bolt.

Back