diy solar

diy solar

Fulltime 5th wheel RV solar install

jimsmail

I am assembling a Solar system for My 2014 Montana 5th wheel. I have 4 x 200 watt Grape solar panels (and room for 4 more later). 2 Renogy 40 amp mppt Charge controllers, 1 Renogy 3000 watt inverter/charger, and 4 x 100ah Renogy Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. Batteries in Parallel. I believe I need a 315 amp mega or Anl fuse on the Inverter Positive and a 400 amp class T fuse on my positive Battery post after the shunt ? 4/0 welding wire for all battery and inverter connections. the panels will be two sets of two in series, with each feeding a 40 amp controller. Main connection point will be a Victron Lynx Distributor. what did I miss? Thanks in advance Jim Oh and thanks for a great book Will !

A 3000W inverter on a 12V system can result in 3000W / 12V / 85% efficiency = 300A from the battery. So you need 4/0AWG wire to handle the 300A. You need a 375A - 400A Class T fuse at the battery positive before the positive bus bar. With that you don't need a fuse at the inverter. If you did add one, it also needs to be 375A - 400A. 315A is a little too small to fully support the full 3000W of the inverter.

You should have a 50A fuse between each SCC and the bus bars.

In your case the bus bars are the Lynx.

Do make sure you wire the 4 batteries correctly in parallel. See chapter 3 of the "Wiring Unlimited" document:

Thanks rmaddy, I had planned on 4/0 welding wire for all battery and inverter to distributor connections. Vmpp is 20.31v and Impp is 9.84a had planned 4 pairs of 10ga solar wire from the panels to the charge controllers through a pair of 15 amp DC breakers - Din rail type. The Renogy Manual for the 40amp mppt controller specifies 40 amp fuses on the output ? I'll up the fuse on the inverter to 400amp also. shoul those be ANL or MEGA type? I would have went with all Victron but I got a great deal on my Home depot card so it'll work out!

You only need two pairs of PV wires since you only have 2 SCCs - one pair of wires each. Do all of the panel connections on the roof.

I'm not sure why Renogy would state a 40A fuse on a 40A load. If you max out the SCC at 40A then the fuse will blow needlessly. 50A would normally be used for a 40A load.

I'm using a MEGA fuse for my inverter. This was based on many of Victron's schematics showing a MEGA fuse for this use.

A 3000W inverter on a 12V system can result in 3000W / 12V / 85% efficiency = 300A from the battery. So you need 4/0AWG wire to handle the 300A. You need a 375A - 400A Class T fuse at the battery positive before the positive bus bar. With that you don't need a fuse at the inverter. If you did add one, it also needs to be 375A - 400A. 315A is a little too small to fully support the full 3000W of the inverter.

You should have a 50A fuse between each SCC and the bus bars.

In your case the bus bars are the Lynx.

Do make sure you wire the 4 batteries correctly in parallel. See chapter 3 of the "Wiring Unlimited" document:

Why not use a fuse for the inverter as well?

I will have a Victron Lynx DC-in as my Busbar. a 375a Tclass at the battery lead and a 400a on the Victron for inverter. Also sea systems cut-off switches on the pos from batteries and the Inverter pos out to victron. I plan to install a manual transfer switch with the 50 amp ac shore in one leg and the inverter 30 amp out (with L1 and L2 jumpered) to feed 30 amp shared.

Back