diy solar

diy solar

Fully solar powered A/C for flat in building

coo1guy

Hi all,

OK, here is my project.

I'd like to install a ~9000 BTU split A/C inverter for the flat on the pictures.
That would require about 1KW
As I want to avoid the energetical waste and environmental impact of 1KW, I'd like this to be entirely solar powered, in the most direct way possible, without storage of electricity or sending power back into the grid.
Obviously, when the sun hits the hardest and the flat gets hot, the panels would deliver the most power, so that makes sense to keep the system as simple and direct as possible, I guess.
The building is South-facing and located at 46°N in Western Europe. We definitely have quite sunny summers with most days around 30-35°C (85-95F).
I'm allowed to install the panels either on the terrace fence (in this case, they would have to be vertical, because the neighbor below wouldn't be happy if I give them an angle) or on the roof (which would require 10m or 30ft of wiring, but would allow for a better angle).
Based on what I read, 1KW would require about 5m2 (50 sqf) of panels.

I'm totally new to all this, so my questions are:
- Is this a decent idea?
- Most of all, do you have recommendations in terms of A/C model, voltage of the entire system or parts of it, type/model/brand of panels?
- Anything a newbie may need?

Thanks

Attachments

• building1.jpg
    building1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 6
  • building2.jpg
    building2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 6
Welcome.

Vertical panels will not produce much. And not for long.d

Horizontal may work. Where are you?

Will need storage or you will not have power for long. That is, direct power will be short lived.

search the forum for mini-splits. Lots of posts.

Back