diy solar

diy solar

Fuse between power converter and battery?

navillus

I have a 45amp lithium power converter. I had read somewhere that the wire from this power converter to the batteries does not require a fuse, because the line is already protected by fuse fuse on the 120v side. However, I have looked at some schematics that show a fuse. Thanks.

Converter probably has a fuse or the 12v panel has a fuse. Yes a fuse is needed near the battery.

If you already have battery protection, why fuse the DC side also? If there’s no battery fuse, need to fuse for that.

I fuse for main battery protection at 200 amps On the DC side. That goes into a busbar with six other lines. None of those six lines are fused. The main battery protection fuse does that. One of those other lines is the RV AC to DC converter. THree others are charge controllers. One is an inverter.

If you needed to fuse each line, than I would need 6 more fuses.

What does your owners manual say? If it says nothing, I’d recommend sending something to the company tech support. My RV converter I mentioned, has two ATC fuses on the outside of the case. THe converter I’m replacing it with does not.

If the branch wires from the main Battery fuse are smaller wire, meaning not to handle 200A or what ever the battery fuse is, then you should install the fuse rated for that small wire to protect the wire from catching on fire.

If the branch wires from the main Battery fuse are smaller wire, meaning not to handle 200A or what ever the battery fuse is, then you should install the fuse rated for that small wire to protect the wire from catching on fire.
I stand corrected. This is what the forum has posted in resources for the very situation I described:

You don't want your wires glowing like a cigarette lighter. Fuse it or Circuit Breaker it near the battery.

Back