diy solar

diy solar

Fuse holder location, is this ok?

Charleswgibbs

Solar Enthusiast
My plan is to use vhb tape to mount a t class fuse holder to each battery case near the positive terminal, and make the connection there with a solid bus bar to avoid extra connections.

Does this violate any best practices? I ask because, other than terminal fuses, I never see anyone run fuses on the battery itself. It seems this would be more tidy and require shorter cable runs compared to mounting each fuse holder on a backer board.

My main worry is in the event the fuse blows and there is some sort of plasma or arcing going on that this could damage the battery because of the proximity. Battery would be ampere time 200ah so it has a plastic case at least. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a bad idea.

Thanks !

My plan is to use vhb tape to mount a t class fuse holder to each battery case near the positive terminal, and make the connection there with a solid bus bar to avoid extra connections.

Does this violate any best practices? I ask because, other than terminal fuses, I never see anyone run fuses on the battery itself. It seems this would be more tidy and require shorter cable runs compared to mounting each fuse holder on a backer board.

My main worry is in the event the fuse blows and there is some sort of plasma or arcing going on that this could damage the battery because of the proximity. Battery would be ampere time 200ah so it has a plastic case at least. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a bad idea.

Thanks !
If its a 12 volt battery an mrbf fuse as mentioned by @MrThisIsME should be fine.
If the battery is 24 volts the mrbf is an iffy proposition.
If the battery is 48 volts class-t is the way to go.

I not sure I understand your description.
Is the busbar being used between the battery terminal and the class-t fuse or between the class-t fuse and the rest of the system?

Last edited:
How you mount a fuse holder isn't critical, as long as it's secure and in close proximity to your battery. No, they don't arc, the fuse melts down on a direct short which disconnects the circuit. We use Class-T due to the amount of energy a lifepo4 can generate. If your wiring is properly done a fuse is for some kind of catastrophic failure - it is sized to not blow during normal usage.

Here's an applicable comment from a fuse manufacturer:

How you mount a fuse holder isn't critical, as long as it's secure and in close proximity to your battery. No, they don't arc, the fuse melts down on a direct short which disconnects the circuit. We use Class-T due to the amount of energy a lifepo4 can generate. If your wiring is properly done a fuse is for some kind of catastrophic failure - it is sized to not blow during normal usage.

Here's an applicable comment from a fuse manufacturer:

Yes when a fuse "blows", it doesn't mean like an explosion.

It would be easier to use the terminal fuses, It's going to be a 24v system with several batteries in parallel so I wanted to go with class t fuses. From what I've read they are superior to other fuses, this is going to be in a mobile application where I'll be living next to this equipment so I'd like the peace of mind.

If its a 12 volt battery an mrbf fuse as mentioned by @MrThisIsME should be fine.
If the battery is 24 volts the mrbf is an iffy proposition.
If the battery is 48 volts class-t is the way to go.

I not sure I understand your description.
Is the busbar being used between the battery terminal and the class-t fuse or between the class-t fuse and the rest of the system?
The fuse holder will be mounted next to the positive terminal and the bus bar will go from one side of the fuse holder to the positive terminal, and the positive battery cable will connect to the other side of the fuse holder.

The fuse holder will be mounted next to the positive terminal and the bus bar will go from one side of the fuse holder to the positive terminal, and the positive battery cable will connect to the other side of the fuse holder.
Understood.
Should be fine.

Back