diy solar

diy solar

Fuse Type Replacement for MC4 inline fuse

HOU_Castle

Learning Everyday....
All,
I have two questions with regard to MC4 inline fuse.
My panel is Isc - 10.19A; Imax 9.62A; Voc - 40.8V and Vmax - 33.3V. My panel config: 2s2p
Question #1: Can I use Renogy inline fuse 1000VDC - 10A?
Question #2: Can I use glass tube fuse (250VDC - 10A) for Renogy inline fuse if is fuse ever blown?
I heard there are 2 type of fuse: slow and fast acting fuse.

Thank you.

I still want to know whether or not I can use glass tube fuse to replace the Renogy inline fuse. Lets say I have 3p.
Thanks!

I don't believe that you will find a glass fuse of the same dimensions. And, that it would be rated for the application.

With Isc - 10.19A, a 10A fuse is too likely to blow. Fuse should be at least 1.56x Isc. Also, no more than what is listed on PV panel label.
(That's one fuse per string of course.)

Voc - 40.8V and 2s2p so 81.6Voc string.
If you found a glass fuse rated higher than 81.6V for DC, and it fit, that would work. I'm not sure those exist.

Something like this, most likely (check size)

That is $15. I see other brands listed, 10 pieces for $8 (but listing says 20A and picture shows 10A)

With Isc - 10.19A, a 10A fuse is too likely to blow. Fuse should be at least 1.56x Isc. Also, no more than what is listed on PV panel label.
(That's one fuse per string of course.)

Voc - 40.8V and 2s2p so 81.6Voc string.
If you found a glass fuse rated higher than 81.6V for DC, and it fit, that would work. I'm not sure those exist.

Something like this, most likely (check size)

That is $15. I see other brands listed, 10 pieces for $8 (but listing says 20A and picture shows 10A)
Thank you for the details explanation.

Here's Littlefuse for $5.50 each

And Bussmann for $58 :ROFLMAO:

Before CSAA doubled my premiums due to other people's California wildfires, my insurance was cheaper than putting that fuse on every PV string I've got.

Back