diy solar

diy solar

Fused power cord?

circus

Solar Enthusiast
Is there such a thing as a fused power cord. Short one with multiple outlets would be perfect. Shorted out my twenty year old modi-sine inverter trimming trees. It's dead. The chain saw was off but still rotating snagging the cord. Don't want it to happen again when the new (expensive) bigger true-sine inverter comes.

From what I understand most AC appliance cords in Europe are actually fused from the factory. It's crazy to me that they don't do that here as well.

I would just get a tiny project enclosure, and put something like this inside of it. How many amps are you trying to break?

RKURCK 15 Amps Thermal Circuit Breakers 125/250V AC 32V DC Push Button Manual Reset Overload Protector Switch 15A 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081PR343M/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QRN51G074EB80YMV40EF

How many amps are you trying to break?
I think a fuse would protect a inverter from live shorts in the 120v. The new inverter is rated at 2000w constant, so 20 amps?
PS I'm surprised, even on new inverters, that there's no safe guards against shorts!
I'll get over the bricking of the old inverter . Plenty of power but it's power factor when powering appliances was horrible and I worried about burning them out.
Been twenty years since shopping for a new inverter and the market place has become a mine field of false advertising. :unsure:

Last edited:
I think a fuse would protect a inverter from live shorts in the 120v. The new inverter is rated at 2000w constant, so 20 amps?
PS I'm surprised, even on new inverters, that there's no safe guards against shorts!
I'll get over the bricking of the old inverter . Plenty of power but it's power factor when powering appliances was horrible and I worried about burning them out.
Been twenty years since shopping for a new inverter and the market place has become a mine field of false advertising. :unsure:
I hardwired a floating outlet to my inverter, with a GFCI. It's a "behind the wall" outlet box with a cover, surface mounted. I rely on OCP in the inverter for a "breaker".

When I finish my trailer install, I will add a small breaker box like this with AFCI and GFCI breakers. It seems like the most straightforward way to protect the AC side of my system.

Siemens E0816ML1125S Surface Mount, 125 Amp, 8 Space, 16 Circuit, Load Center https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N7K...abc_121HMSMZWM52HCHJFXPK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Siemens E0816ML1125S Surface Mount, 125 Amp, 8 Space, 16 Circuit, Load Center
That bring up a good point. A simple inline fuse might not work. A thermal fuse may not be quick enough.

Last edited:
A fast-trip magnetic breaker would need 5x operating current. So an inverter with 7500W surge supplying 1500W circuit could trip it.
Ideally, get an inverter designed to survive all loads including a dead short.

Check your old MSW inverter. It may have fuses inside. Something like paralleled automotive fuses has been done before.

From what I understand most AC appliance cords in Europe are actually fused from the factory. It's crazy to me that they don't do that here as well.

Depends on the country. UK plugs do have a fuse integrated, but I haven't seen others (at least not in mainland Europe)

Most other countries don't use any fusing in the plug / cords. The switchboard feeding the wall outlets has a fuse / breaker, and inside the appliance there is generally some kind of fuse.

Check your old MSW inverter. It may have fuses inside. Something like paralleled automotive fuses has been done before.
Did. Replaced five 30a blown fuses. Fans going, no beeping, draws 100amps, no AC. Damage is deeper. A flir camera might tell where the power's going, if I had one, but probably wouldn't be the cause. Was almost motivated to upgrade anyway.
Update: Silly me, Walmart has power strips with a 15 amp breaker, not a surge protection, for less than $5. That'll work.

Last edited:
Oregon 1500 electric chain saw stops instantly, very safe. Something to consider.

Back