diy solar

diy solar

Fusing between Parallel Solar Panel arrays

TJ King

I am planning to create a 9 panel array and I have either 30A or 100A circuit breaker I had planned on using near the SCC to protect it from Array. Using 10 awg copper wiring throughout the solar arrays to the SCC. The panels are each 240w, 37.2v VOC, 8.37A ISC Fuse rating 15A. I planned on a 3S3P (or is it vice versa?), individual arrays in series which are then connected by branch Y connectors that will parallel the three serial arrays which then lead to my SCC after passing through the above mentioned breaker. So ~112V at ~25A when it reaches SCC. My question is, I was not aware I needed fuses on each of the 3 serial arrays, but was told recently to put MC4 inline fuses before they reach the branch connectors that put them in parallel. If so am I honoring the 15 amp fuse rating above for each array or something else. I just figured the 30A breaker would trip if anything in the 9 panels went wrong. To fuse or not to fuse everything?

Please review the following resource. It explains what is needed.

Please review the following resource. It explains what is needed.

Good Read. Although I learned some things, it convinced me to cancel my plans until I can better understand these concepts. Thanks

Back