diy solar

diy solar

Fusing Individual Arrays

WYOFamily

I am using the Rich Solar 200w 12v panels. 6 to be exact for a total of 1200w. They will be wired in 3S2P. Each sting will produce the 9.8a but the strings when parallel will be 19.6a exceeding the individual panels 15a max fuse rating at the combiner which I was going to use an MC4 combiner.

My question is this. Where (if at all) would I fuse this combined array and what fuse capacity would I use? I watched the ExploristsLife video on fusing panels but this wasn’t really explained. This is an amazing video btw. Thanks for all you guys do. The Forum Hivemind and Will Prowse have become my Gurus.

My charge controller will be a Victron 150/70. My batteries will be 2 x SOK 206Ah in Series for 24v.

There's no need to fuse panels when you only have 1 or 2 parallel strings. Combiner boxes and fusing are need when you get to 3P.

I am using the Rich Solar 200w 12v panels. 6 to be exact for a total of 1200w. They will be wired in 3S2P. Each sting will produce the 9.8a but the strings when parallel will be 19.6a exceeding the individual panels 15a max fuse rating at the combiner which I was going to use an MC4 combiner.

My question is this. Where (if at all) would I fuse this combined array and what fuse capacity would I use? I watched the ExploristsLife video on fusing panels but this wasn’t really explained. This is an amazing video btw. Thanks for all you guys do. The Forum Hivemind and Will Prowse have become my Gurus.

My charge controller will be a Victron 150/70. My batteries will be 2 x SOK 206Ah in Series for 24v.
I decided I did not agree with the 15A fuse that Rich Solar provided with the 2x200W panels I bought from them. They supply 10ga wire to go from the panels to the SCC so I replaced the 15A with a 30A which corresponds with the ampacity of the wire.

I am doing a 3S to each SCC and I have 6 panels total. I decided to run 2 sets of 10ga wire from the roof so I could run two independent 3S quadrants.

If you on the panel sticker you will see the recommend MAX fusing rating that you should not exceed.
You can use smaller fuse that handle the less current than the wire rating but not more than the wire rating, the fuse is to protect the wire from catching fire. I would not put 30A fuse for each string of the panel.
You really not need to have fuse for each string when you only have 2 strings in parallel, you would install fuse for each string if you have more than 2 strings in parallel so if one string shorted out (for what ever reason) the current dump from other two strings will blow the fuse of the shorted string.

Last edited:
Thanks Rmaddy! I appreciate it as always. Hope the trailer is treating you well!

This is what the Rich Solar 200W 12V panel has on the label:

RICH_SOLAR_200_WATT_SOLAR_PANEL_MONO_7_998x998.jpg

So if you want to parallel two panels, you have to put the 30A fuse after the parallel connection? That makes more sense, and I may put that 15A fuse back in my circuit.

Back