diy solar

diy solar

Fusing Questions

dasein

Hiya-

Designing a battery bank for a Ford Transit. The battery will be under the passenger seat pedestal, and they will tie to a Lynx Power-In under the bench seat of the van. The 4 gauge wires (230AH 12V batteries) will run through the floor and back up into the van at the bench seat. I am planning to fuse both sides of the wire: terminal fuses on the batteries, and fuses in the power in.

Any issues with fusing both sides of the cable connection? I can't imagine any, but hey. That's why we have beginner's corner.

You only need fuses at the power source that is capable of overloading the cable ( and whatever it's connected to). In your case the high current fuse at the battery bank feeds the cable to the Lynx. Other connections to system components with different cable ratings connect via the fuses in the Lynx distribution unit.
I am assuming you are asking if an additional fuse is needed at the input to the Lynx unit, this is not necessary. However if fitted there would not be any serious issues, (there will be an additional very small volt drop caused by the fuse and connections).

Mike

Reactions: Zil
Fuses Protect Wires. A fuse is required at the source, your battery. The Lynx is a fancy BusBar and fuse block for accessory circuits that need their own smaller fuse.

Last edited:
you may have already thought of this but just in case, what type of loads are you expecting? 4awg wire is fairly small for your battery mains. Of course, this is all relative so perfectly OK if 4awg is enough to handle your loads. Usually you'll see more like 4/0 on a 12v system.

Oh- new to this. I meant 4/0. I believe that is the largest wire I can fit in my power in.

Back