diy solar

diy solar

Future battery upgrades/replacements

ecwashere

I've watched some tear-down videos of popular brands but I've yet to see anyone discuss how upgrade-able or replaceable the battery technology is in the portable micro systems.

I'm guessing some of the bigger brands are using proprietary-sized batteries. For these, I imagine it will be difficult to cost-effectively upgrade or replace batteries. But could some of the up-and-coming manufactures be using more off-the-shelf components that could be easily replaced? Inverters are likely proprietary and not worth fixing should they die; however, a decent SCC with replaceable batteries in a portable size will always have utility, right? Especially when something better than LiFePO4 comes along and can easily be swapped in.

Am I just way thinking anyone would ever change anything in these units?

I'm specifically looking at the Beaudens 166Wh marketing material. The LiFePO4 batteries look pretty standard. I feel like this would be a good unit for my kids to learn about how solar can power their brains, er, phones. I'm hoping they get interested in understanding the technology and basic circuitry so they want to open it up, play around with my multimeter, and plan a path of upgrade.

Amazon_com_BEAUDENS_Portable_Power_Station_Lithium_Iron_Phosphate_Battery_LiFePO4_2000_Cycles_...png

Most are geared for a 10year lifespan, and have all spot welded cells rigged into a pack. Difficult to replace the batteries...

If you want to start your kids out, get them a jump start pack with a lead acid battery, take it apart, and build a LFP cell replacement with a BMS, and let them get their feet wet soldering...

The more teardown videos I watched, the more I realized how difficult and potentially dangerous it was to mess with the batteries. Besides, the next battery technology may not be compatible with existing SCC or BMS.

I think I'll go with your suggestion. Thanks!!

I have taken a few apart. The one that I feel has good upgradability is the Rockpals 300watt. The layout is pretty straightforward. Battery inside is pretty easy to change out/take apart. Battery is connected using a XT-60 inside. 3S10P. I have done some modding on mine where I made a XT-60 input connector on the housing.... Added another to where I am able to daisy change multiple units to charge. Connector to add external battery. All in all a great unit. I have mine running with AC inverter on 24 hours a day for the past year without it skipping a beat. The weak point on the unit is the BMS. The BMS that is soldered to the batteries seem to frequently go bad. I picked up six "for parts" unit on eBay and each one has the same BMS issue. BMS is cheap off eBay. I pick one up for $7 on ebay and everything works great again for each one. Battery's are all good on each one.

I have taken a few apart. The one that I feel has good upgradability is the Rockpals 300watt. The layout is pretty straightforward. Battery inside is pretty easy to change out/take apart. Battery is connected using a XT-60 inside. 3S10P. I have done some modding on mine where I made a XT-60 input connector on the housing.... Added another to where I am able to daisy change multiple units to charge. Connector to add external battery. All in all a great unit. I have mine running with AC inverter on 24 hours a day for the past year without it skipping a beat. The weak point on the unit is the BMS. The BMS that is soldered to the batteries seem to frequently go bad. I picked up six "for parts" unit on eBay and each one has the same BMS issue. BMS is cheap off eBay. I pick one up for $7 on ebay and everything works great again for each one. Battery's are all good on each one.
What kind of battery do they use? LFP/LMC?

Are you replacing the BMS’ that fail with a better design? What do you use?
There are 4 machines used, working on eBay right now for 150+ 12 s&h

Here is another view of the battery pack. Very easy to pull the nickel off the contacts of the battery and put another in. Funny thing is if you look at the pack you will see that it has extra space to add more batteries. Six more. Don't know why they put that foam there instead of extra batteries....

Attachments

• 20191027_124501.jpg
    20191027_124501.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 14
Are you replacing the BMS’ that fail with a better design? What do you use?
There are 4 machines used, working on eBay right now for 150+ 12 s&h

This is the auction that I get. This seller always has these units and the all have bad BMS. I have picked up about seven units from the same seller with the same issue. After he sells them all.... wait a few weeks and he has more for sale. I attached the picture of the BMS I use to replace. About $7 each. Works great!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602-200841_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602-200841_eBay.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20200602-200629_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602-200629_eBay.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20
This is the auction that I get. This seller always has these units and the all have bad BMS. I have picked up about seven units from the same seller with the same issue. After he sells them all.... wait a few weeks and he has more for sale. I attached the picture of the BMS I use to replace. About $7 each. Works great!
What is the seller name?

I have a dozen 20A BMS’... I bet they would work if I don’t load up the full 300WATT...

Probably will work fine. Just remember that there are no regulated outputs. An adapter plugged into the cigarette/power adapter fixes that issue. Enjoy and share with us how it turns out!

Lewi, where would one purchase a BMS like that and do they have instructions to wire them up?
Thanks

Lewi, where would one purchase a BMS like that and do they have instructions to wire them up?
Thanks

I ordered it on ebay. Look up this: "3S 12.6V 60A W Balance 18650 Li-ion Lithium Battery BMS Protection Charger Board". The BMS is pretty easy to wire up. Refer to this picture diagram.
1591373223223.png

Ok, mine came in, the bank on the first one I opened was sitting at 8.4V
I’m charging 3 amps 12.3V no issues yet.
I tested the usb, and inverter seems to work fine.

Back